Thread: Advice please: 911L to buy or not to buy (not the one I just got)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Xavier Petit-Jean-Boret Xavier PJB's Avatar

Advice please: 911L to buy or not to buy (not the one I just got)

Have been seeking 911 Ls for many years, now am lucky enough to have a very nice one of the few.Now am surrounded by those
    Today, I dropped my Triumph Spitfire MIV to a shop, and we discussed cars etc...and Porsche of course. Told him am a big fan of 911L, and he asked me to come and join. He opened a "garage", and showed me a 911L Sportomatic, complete (plates, Vin, engine, gearbox, panels lights, buttons, trims, etc.. all apart, but looks complete after a quick but focused inventory. The chassis and parts have been sitting there for nearly 15 years. Chassis looks very solid, no evidence of welding nor major acccident.
    The price is asking is around 25K$.
    I know the (huge) costs to get it back on the road.

What do you think, seriously: buying (and taking the time to restore with manual gearbox as I can enjoy my current one) or drop ?

Cheers
    Xavier
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

If you have the cash, and the car is an attractive color per COA, I wold totally buy it as a side project to keep me from munching on chocolate or cookies whenever I'm bored ;-)
    If it's a pile of rust and you have 2 left hands and zero mechanical ability and will farm everything out, then no... But otherwise the price seems fair for a SWB 911. Fonce alphonse !
    Greg.
    ----------
    72 911T - 73 2002

Alors, orginal color is Burgundy. And for the rest, a bit of both together. Donc je suis relax Max.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg D. View Post
    If you have the cash, and the car is an attractive color per COA, I wold totally buy it as a side project to keep me from munching on chocolate or cookies whenever I'm bored ;-)
    If it's a pile of rust and you have 2 left hands and zero mechanical ability and will farm everything out, then no... But otherwise the price seems fair for a SWB 911. Fonce alphonse !
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

Hallo Xavier,
    of course it is a big mistake to purchase this car!
    But you can avoid it very easily.
    I will help you.
    Give it to me!
    And look for a different model, different year.

Kind regards.
    Anke
    356 A 58 silver
    302485 light ivory
    500248 Softwindow light ivory
    500441 Softwindow S light ivory
    2.2 S Targa geminiblue
    2.4 T Targa black
    2.4 S Targa vipergreen
    2.7 RSR tribute green (original 2.4 E 1972)

Macan GTS black
    Boxter S black
    997 Turbo Cabriolet black

BMW R 17
    BMW R 69S black with Steib 500

I will be true to you. For someone who´s name is "brakekiller" a L-sportomatic makes no sense, despite you look for a present for your wife or you are planning to change your name to "pretty Boy" . A sportomatic car in Aubergine will be a no go at track days, just suitable for Christopher street days.

If brakekiller is not only a name but conviction you should look for a S, R, ST, RS or RSR and please not in Aubergine. Choose tangerine, black, bahama yellow, silver, ultra blue, slate grey but not "poofy aubergine". What will you do in the race in your "sportomatic" when your competitors change the gears? Will you renew your eyeliner in a extrabig beauty mirror? Or dream of your new highheels?
    Brakekiller, you can believe me. This car is a car for a women.
    And now please contact me and tell me where I can contact the seller before you make the biggest mistake in your racer-live.

Anke
    356 A 58 silver
    302485 light ivory
    500248 Softwindow light ivory
    500441 Softwindow S light ivory
    2.2 S Targa geminiblue
    2.4 T Targa black
    2.4 S Targa vipergreen
    2.7 RSR tribute green (original 2.4 E 1972)

Macan GTS black
    Boxter S black
    997 Turbo Cabriolet black

BMW R 17
    BMW R 69S black with Steib 500

Ok ok, I know what I have to do.

Quote Originally Posted by softwindow View Post
    Hallo Xavier,
    of course it is a big mistake to purchase this car!
    But you can avoid it very easily.
    I will help you.
    Give it to me!
    And look for a different model, different year.

Kind regards.
    Anke
    I may do a big mistake though.

Quote Originally Posted by softwindow View Post
    I will be true to you. For someone who´s name is "brakekiller" a L-sportomatic makes no sense, despite you look for a present for your wife or you are planning to change your name to "pretty Boy" . A sportomatic car in Aubergine will be a no go at track days, just suitable for Christopher street days.

If brakekiller is not only a name but conviction you should look for a S, R, ST, RS or RSR and please not in Aubergine. Choose tangerine, black, bahama yellow, silver, ultra blue, slate grey but not "poofy aubergine". What will you do in the race in your "sportomatic" when your competitors change the gears? Will you renew your eyeliner in a extrabig beauty mirror? Or dream of your new highheels?
    Brakekiller, you can believe me. This car is a car for a women.
    And now please contact me and tell me where I can contact the seller before you make the biggest mistake in your racer-live.

Anke
    I just called my doctor to get surgery. and took my LGBT membership.
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407