Thread: Vintage Steering Wheel Reconditioning

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Vintage Steering Wheel Reconditioning

I covered this, poorly I might add, in a previous thread, so I’ll put it out here again. I have this vintage MoMo LeMans Steering wheel I’d like to have reconditioned in a proper manner, Vinyl cover with white thread and correct stitching. I don’t want to mess with the patina on the body of the wheel. Is there anybody that you would trust to do your vintage wheel if you had to? I’ve had Dallas do current wheels for me with GREAT results, not sure if he does the old stuff.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by nvr2mny; 05-16-2018 at 12:20 PM.

With all due respect... and I truly mean that. I wouldn't mess with this wheel. Let it go. Its just not worth the effort and cost.
    It would be easier, and less expensive to simply find another MOMO wheel that your heart is craving.
    I have a website now:
    www.markmorrissey.org

Instagram: @Mark0Morrissey

Call Don at Dallas. I bet he can help you.
    A part isn't purchased until paid.

The 9 Store LLC.

I lean in M n M 's educated and fair reflected post.
    However if this dial has any sentimental attachment then it alters the equation.
    You wrapped it and I am willing to take it off your mitts for the price of the wrapping.
    PM me if its considered.
    Mark

With all due respect, it’s a LeMans. They’re vinyl to begin with, and rather less desirable and plentiful. If you want patina, save up for a Monza which are also plentiful but leather. I for one would have no issue experimenting with a re-wrap of this wheel to see what level can be achieved. If you don’t like it, you can have it re-wrapped as often as it takes and by different people until the look you desire is achieved. In the end, you’re not harming an original leather wheel.

If it were me, I’d go to a second hand store and buy an old leather jacket from the seventies that has seen hard times and have them cut the material from that. My guess is you’d end up with a pretty cool end result without looking like a new wheel..
    Last edited by ibmiked; 05-26-2018 at 05:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ibmiked View Post
    With all due respect, it’s a LeMans.

If it were me, I’d go to a second hand store and by an old leather jacket from the seventies that has seen hard times and have them cut the material from that. My guess is you’d end up with a pretty cool end result without looking like a new wheel..
    I like that idea! Thanks.