Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Spec Class for '64-'65 911s

Quote Originally Posted by Mark111 View Post
    Congratulations Phil on your 2nd place at last weeks race!!

Looking forward to seeing some footage of the race.

Last race of the series is in Aug i believe? Good luck

Mark
    thanks Mark, fantastic circuit, very little changes from the F1 heydays of the seventies - fast corners with great elevation change

yes, last round is at Le Castellet, end of August https://peterauto.peter.fr/en/dix-mi...u-castellet-2/
    Phil Hindley
    Tech 9 Motorsport
    United Kingdom

www.tech-9.co.uk

Early S registry membership #2207

65 911 Racecar
    82 911 SC Coupe
    91 944 Turbo

Does anybody is talking about starting a similar series in USA ? Or to resurect the good old Klub Sport Challenge ?
    1970S Coupe, Blood orange #1436
    1965 Coupe, Dolphin gray #1506

R Gruppe #647 ; S Registry #1666

I think it would be great to duplicate these rules with perhaps one exception, also allow Weber or PMO 40’s. The cars could be up to 68 as well. Last time there were different rules east and west which was not ideal. Steel cars, no flares or spoilers, and 5.5 wide wheels. Opps, just as I am painting my R flared 68!

Erich
    Early 911S Registry #263

Would be nice to keep it to 1965 cars to parallel the FIA Pre-1966 rules so cars can be standard on either continent.

Quote Originally Posted by ErichW View Post
    I think it would be great to duplicate these rules with perhaps one exception, also allow Weber or PMO 40’s. The cars could be up to 68 as well. Last time there were different rules east and west which was not ideal. Steel cars, no flares or spoilers, and 5.5 wide wheels. Opps, just as I am painting my R flared 68!

Erich

Banned
    I can certainly see a class being a possibility in the U.S. but hardly doubt they would get their own race; much less a series. Not enough people willing to campaign legit, legal 64/65 cars. And when run in say... Group 8 in HSR or Group 3 in SVRA they would only be competitive in the back of the pack. And as an add-on to PCA schedule? Fuggetaboutit.

AS far as allowing PMOs or Webers... where does that end? The entire spirit of the European FIA series is to remain true to original features isn't it?

The solex carbs are certainly hard to find, it’s not like 5.5 inch wide wheels were stock in 65 either. Where does it end? It ends in 68. A true SWB class and if the car has solex’s that goes too. I think you would have a better chance of getting a group together.
    Early 911S Registry #263

Banned
    Erich, I just don’t see it happening. There’s already a 2.0 911 class in U.S. vintage racing and candidly turn out these days is low. Parsing it even further is a non starter.
    Now if rules were consistent enough to allow a U.S. vs European throw down, that might gain some traction; proving that Yanks would kick everyone’s asses would be a blast. But I still see it only as a class within a group; not a separate series.

BTW: Plenty of availability of Solex carbs/systems. Racers just need to be prepared to spend $18k+.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    Erich, I just don’t see it happening. There’s already a 2.0 911 class in U.S. vintage racing and candidly turn out these days is low. Parsing it even further is a non starter.
    Now if rules were consistent enough to allow a U.S. vs European throw down, that might gain some traction; proving that Yanks would kick everyone’s asses would be a blast. But I still see it only as a class within a group; not a separate series.

BTW: Plenty of availability of Solex carbs/systems. Racers just need to be prepared to spend $18k+.

I think you are probably right, they have been building cars to this spec over there for some time.
    Early 911S Registry #263

Quote Originally Posted by ErichW View Post
    The solex carbs are certainly hard to find, it’s not like 5.5 inch wide wheels were stock in 65 either. Where does it end? It ends in 68. A true SWB class and if the car has solex’s that goes too. I think you would have a better chance of getting a group together.
    5.5" wide wheels were homologated in October 1965 on Form 183 - they had a 904 Part Number associated with this wheel size.

You should also be able to use a 1968 SWB car in Appendix K Period F which is 1/1/1962 to 31/12/1965 as the regulations clearly state that it is the Specification of the vehicle that is important and not the actual year of manufacture. Providing the car complies with Homologation Form 183 (Solexes etc) it should gain an HTP and be eligible for FIA Races.

It may be the case that some organisers (Goodwood, Peter Auto for example) may not accept later cars but this is not an FIA requirement.

I believe that the original version of 'Appendix K' was first published in 2000 and was only 26 pages long whilst the 2018 version is now 106 pages. and the requirements/regulations continue to evolve.

You can also obtain an HTP for a 1968 911 using a different Homologation Form and running the car in Period G1 which covers 1/1/1966 to 31/12/1969.

I would suggest that Form 577 would be the most appropriate and you could build a 911T/R using these forms and entering in a GTS category.

Chris what would you guess is the percentage of cars that would have originally had solex carbs versus backdated cars in these recent 2.0 cup races?

I know of a 1965 912 that was turned into a 911 race car 30+ years ago and has been sitting idle for 20. I thought maybe it would be a good candidate for a pair of solex's and a trip overseas?

Thanks.
    Last edited by ErichW; 06-27-2018 at 02:42 PM.
    Early 911S Registry #263