Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 70E or SWB 68L?

70E or SWB 68L?

If you had a choice to buy one of these 2 cars (both in similar condition and same price), which one would you buy?

Xavier Petit-Jean-Boret Xavier PJB's Avatar
    68L without a doubt.
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

+2 for 68L

'68L for sure, gotta love the last of the SWB's ... and as a bonus you'll get those nifty side reflectors on the US-delivered cars
    Early 911S Reg #3096
    "Chester" - 1968 911 L, Fully Restored, Numbers Matching, Tangerine Orange on the original 5 1/2 x 15 Fuchs wheels
    "The Beast" - 2010 911 4S Cab, Triple Black, 6 Speed MT, SSK, PSE with Fabspeed Sport Headers and 200-Cell Cats
    "The Truck" - 2019 Cayenne Turbo, Jet Black, Sport Chrono, PSE, Rear Axle Steering & PSCB Brakes (for haulin' stuff... fast)
    ”Blue” - 2023 911 Turbo S Cab, Gentian Blue over Deviated Black Leather with PSE & PCCB’s

A good 70E is a sweet running car and to my eye, and seat, a LWB car is significantly more contemporary in look and feel. In today's market, i would not buy the E unless the mfi was intact.

Certainly we all love SWB cars too but they appeal to me more as nostalgia rides. Actually that is a big plus for me.

Personally it would come down to getting the right balance of the following factors to make a decision between equally presentable, running, driving 70E and 68L alternatives:
    1, good original color (and no color change) - all things being equal I would go with the best color
    2. originality - no matter what don't buy either car unless it scores high on originality
    3. options, like year correct factory sport seats and other trinkets are a plus, particularly if they appear on the build sheet
    4. the immediate enjoyment factor (summer is nearly here after all).

It must be noted that MY68 US spec cars have historically been persistent market laggards and at times not too easy to sell. This is a big consideration if you have to put significant dollars into the car during your period of ownership.

Be patient - there are lots of cars available.
    Early 911S Registry
    Looking for engine 960 168
    Looking for gear box 103 165

I would only buy a SWB 68 that has a aluminum case; I know that is a short window of about the first 300 cars for that year but that engine is bullitt proof and highly sought after. Chris
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

I would only buy a SWB 68 that has a aluminum case; I know that is a short window of about the first 300 cars for that year but that engine is bullitt proof and highly sought after. Chris
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

I don't know...what do you think?
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I've always been a LWB guy (I'm Porsche-less at the moment) but lately I've watched some Youtube videos of SWB racing (like the one in the link below) and I'm amazed how well they handle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eiyOaRPn4g

I'm not looking to build a race car but I want a good fun car for short and long distances. Difficult decision.

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    I'm a LWB guy so I better vote, the SWB are coming out of the woodwork. Gordon