Thread: 1971 fuel pump

1971 fuel pump

I was wondering if anyone can help with my fuel pressure problem.
    I have a new fuel pump 911(911.608.107.03). I am having a difficult time setting float level.
    So I checked fuel pressure and it was 6PSi on a inline autometer gauge (0-15psi). New filter installed before gauge.
    Stumped why a new Porsche replacement pump would be so high.
    I removed pump cleaned pump mechanism and inlets. Did not pry apart tabs to get into electrical part.
    Reinstalled pump and still 6psi, running Webers so I thought that was to high and maybe making float adjustment.
    difficult.
    Pump was installed just prior to myself buying car but the part number was clear and looks brand new.

Any help would be great.

Thanks John

I would expect this type of pump to operate at around 4.3 psi.

At low pressures it is always difficult to trust gauges as they are not so accurate.

I would expect that a float valve in good condition should seal at 6psi and we have a Facet Red Top which measures 7.8 psi (assuming 'our' gauge is accurate) to test all of the carbs we restore and we never experience problems with sealing.

If the float valve doesn't seal then the fuel reservoir will overfill regardless of the float setting and I would expect to see fuel escaping into the bore of the carb when the engine wasn't running.

The fuel would leak from the gasket face between the top cover and the main body of the carb and it would behave in a similar manner as when a float valve sticks open.

The pump section is probably OK, any fault is likely to be concerned with the Check Valve that operates the By-Pass Regulator.

If the carb isn't leaking then I wouldn't be very concerned.

Hi the needle and seat valves are new.
    The pump check valve for by pass seems to work freely, and I didn't want to go further into the pump as it is new.
    Gas is escaping into bore of carb when pump is running and fuel level is at the top two lines of the PMO float tool.
    As everyone seems to say these carbs need low pressure I was thinking of putting one of those small flat fuel regulators, that Partsklasick
    sells. but I would prefer to run factory.
    The carb Im adjusting is on the bench and Im running a fuel line to it. Not sure if when the car is running that fuel pressure would lower,
    maybe as the the pump gets less current.
    Thanks for any input

If the carb is leaking then the needle valve isn't sealing and it seems as if there may be too much pressure. The float height in a dynamic condition isn't relevant if the fuel pressure pushes the valve off it's seat.

The float height setting is only relevant in a 'static' condition and is the point at which the needle valve should close but the upper lines on the PMO Tool is the correct setting.

Installing the pump won't affect the current as the pump will draw the current it requires and is if sees 14V instead of the 12V supplied by a battery the pump discharge volume won't really change.

The By-pass regulator in the pump isn't operating correctly as this pump should produce 4.3 psi so there is a fault of some type.

If you fit a blocking regulator set at 3 psi you should solve the problem assuming that the static float height is correct but this is just masking a fault.

As Im just learning about this pump I assume the By Pass regulator is the valve that is in closed position when you take the top off the
    fuel pump. I put a dental pick on it and the valve moves back and forth.
    Is this what you are speaking of as by pass regulator.
    I can't find any pictures on the web so I am just guessing if this is it. Can you replace this top part of the pump.