Thread: 1969-1973 front control arms interchangable?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

1969-1973 front control arms interchangable?

What are the differences between the 1969-1973 model years in regards to control arms.

Im picking through wrecks looking for a pair to use on my 1969.
    LOOKING FOR 1967S TRANSMISSION #103586
    Looking For 1969T Engine #6195922
    Looking For 1969T Transmission #7194313

Looking for 1969T Transmission #7195495
    www.tcspeed.com

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    I think they are all the same, unless sway bar brackets were left off. Beware of Hydropneumatic control arms, some times not boxed, sometimes off 914-4 with different torsion bar splines. G

I'm not aware that there were any changes. The suspension geometry never changed from 69-73. The only difference I'm aware of is swaybar mounts and non swaybar mounts. In the process of restoring my 69, I found that one of my arms was bent. I ended up using a 71 as a replacement without fitment issues.
    1969 911 E #824

thanks!
    that is what i thought.
    LOOKING FOR 1967S TRANSMISSION #103586
    Looking For 1969T Engine #6195922
    Looking For 1969T Transmission #7194313

Looking for 1969T Transmission #7195495
    www.tcspeed.com

Some of the arms used with the Hydropneumatic struts had no splines. All 914/4 had different splines. Plus the swaybar mounts vs no swaybar mounts varieties.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Wasn't there a change in the ball joint mounting with the improved pinch bolt for the strut that added the groove in the stud in the end of the strut post 71? 71 had straight diameter 72 or 3 & later had the groove in the strut for the key like bolt, but also a change in the ball joint mounting? will have to look I have a set of what I think are 73's in the garage to replace the stock ones on the 71 Targa .

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry L View Post
    Wasn't there a change in the ball joint mounting with the improved pinch bolt for the strut that added the groove in the stud in the end of the strut post 71? 71 had straight diameter 72 or 3 & later had the groove in the strut for the key like bolt, but also a change in the ball joint mounting? will have to look I have a set of what I think are 73's in the garage to replace the stock ones on the 71 Targa .

Regards
    I believe there are two different ball joints (earlier one with a rounded depression for the strut mount and the later one with a straight angle depression) but either ball joint would mount to the control arm, so would depend on what struts you have.

I have circa 71 control arms that would have used rounded depression ball joints....but upgraded to 80s era struts that use angled ball joint. Both types of ball joints would fit on my 71 control arms.
    Early 911S Registry#3437
    1971 911E