Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Door Striker colour? 1969

Every 69-73 911 original survivor I've worked on were all silver with yellow bolts.
    72S, 72T now ST

Me too. Most bolts will look silver on the head until you unscrew and see the yellow on the thread.

ok perfect i will go yellow bolts as stretch advised me from the begining , can anyone recommend where to purchase the striker and bolts.

jonny

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnydaz53 View Post
    ok perfect i will go yellow bolts as stretch advised me from the begining , can anyone recommend where to purchase the striker and bolts.

jonny
    60€ shipped
    Attached Images Attached Images  

We know that in the absence of actual rust, yellow (gold iridescent) zinc (#2) or cadmium loses its yellow color over time and becomes silver in appearance. A great example is the debate about whether calipers should be silver or gold iridescent when replated. That debate has been definitely resolved with proof that Ate plated the calipers with gold iridescent originally, but we have all seen that these calipers became silver over time and assumed they were originally silver. I'm wondering if, based on the comments above, all of the "original" strikers that are claimed to have been silver (#1) zinc or cadmium are simply NOW silver due to the deterioration of the yellow chromate over time. What sense does it make that the factory would have mounted silver strikers with yellow bolts?

Most of the mounting hardware for various parts was yellow.... not much was sliver color.
    So no attempt to matchup hardware with Parts . Just like the seat sliders and the yellow Allen screws to attach and all the suspension components..
    Also many have stated and same with mine .....that there would be a residue of the yellow not exposed to weather on the backside when removed. No yellow residue has been found .
    Think the finish is finished
    Regards
    Frank
    73.5 Snrf T
    71 Snrf T
    70S targa
    76 914 2.0
    82 Targa,
    85 Alfa GTV6
    60 Lancia Appia Zagato GTE
    Searching for transmission 7115322 (911/01)

While we are on this topic, what about the color of door latch mechanism itself for a 1973? I will be sending my latches out be to re-plated, and it appears that the components of the early latches are a mixture of yellow and clear zinc (cadmium?), where the 74+ latches are all yellow. Since the latch mechanisms cannot be disassembled (easily), they will need to be plated all the same color.

Since only the rotating post that latches to the striker plate will be seen, what I really need to know is what is the correct color of that post? From the latches I have, they appear to be clear. But I just want to confirm that the color is not simply due to fading, as mentioned above, before sending them out.

Thanks,
    Frank
    '73 RoW 911T (project)
    '77 911S
    Early911SReg #2945

If you take one of these apart to restore and insert the new white plastic parts that are always broken, you will see that this protected area is indeed Silver. My car was in a barn for over 30 years untouched, so i'm convinced.

Bastard of a job changing those plastic parts though....!

Dave

whats my options dave oem porsche ?

Jonny, i can't see a man with your eye for detail being happy with a catch that isn't made by Keiper..!

Options : buy a repro set, slightly thinner plates. Buy Porsche, pretty sure these are the wrong colour though. You can drop these in Yellow cad without damaging the nylon insert.

Restore an old pair and insert new nylon with the repair kit. I did the last as i'm old school.

Dave