Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice, sell or keep?

Need advice, sell or keep?

Need advice, sell or keep..
    Short story; should I sell my SWB or keep it?

Now the long story; (sorry in advance if it is too long
    As long as I can remember I am crazy about cars, all sorts and shapes.
    Living as a kid close to a supercar dealer certainly helped with that, Porsche, Ferrari, Maserati, Rolls, Bentley etc. all were almost around the corner.
    From age 7 or 8 it became more specific to two brands Porsche and Ferrari.

Growing up as a teenager scanning the Saturday newspaper for adds and buying the weekly autotrader magazine searching for my dreamcar/project.
    Around 18 it became clearer, a Porsche 911 SWB checked all the boxes! So scanning the internet and hunting down numerous projects from complete basket cases to concourse cars finally had some result at the age of 21, a 65 build modelyear 66 SWB with sunroof and matching numbers crossed my path.

A project but not too bad (at first sight..)
    Well first sight was a bit off to say the least but I committed myself to it and the guy I bought it from assured me he could do the job.

I will save you all the details but in the end it became clear he couldn’t.. The car was driving but that was it. Already 3 years had passed but still very determined I choose a different company which started the restoration all over again.
    And then, and I never thought I would say it, but basically life got in the way. I started my own business which took a lot of time and effort, I bought a house which required “some” remodeling, got married, got a beautiful son and all is looking good.

All this time there was a certain drive towards my 911, during all the years the above period took still some work was carried out, body, paint, electrical etc. are all done and I always had the feeling I would be driving it soon. We even had the idea to use it as a wedding car which we unfortunately didn’t manage and used a similar car (but not mine..) instead.

But now.. I don’t know.. it is like I lost the feeling and the interest in it.
    Was I searching for automobilia on a regular basis, visiting Porsche events and even this forum on a daily basis, now it is something I hardly do anymore.. and that actually sucks

And the idea that was lingering for a while keeps getting stronger and stronger; why don’t I sell it?
    Car is still not finished, interior and finish it with trim, glass etc. and it is done. Not the best starting point for a sale.. but do I want to sell it?

I don’t know.. any advice in this is more than welcome!
    Thanks in advance
    Early 911S registry member #1391
    Built '65, MY66 911 in total restoration

Xavier Petit-Jean-Boret Xavier PJB's Avatar
    Finish it, drive it.

Then you will figure out, not before.
    X
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

Banned
    Could still be a wedding car.

Life is full of seasons and I actually pity those who are so one-dimensional that cars are ALL they ever think about. You are a blessed man and enjoying a season in life where a car project is a burden rather than joyful. If you can afford it keep going; even at a tortoise-like pace. Or pack it up and store it. The fire will eventually come back; probably when your son is old enough to recognize how cool it would be to someday own an old Porsche. THEN you will be very thankful that you kept it. Besides, at this stage of the game you're probably upside down in it and will suffer a severe beatdown if sold.

Good luck sir.

+1 on what Frank says... it is always (somewhat of) a pleasure to agree with him!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    Could still be a wedding car.

Life is full of seasons and I actually pity those who are so one-dimensional that cars are ALL they ever think about. You are a blessed man and enjoying a season in life where a car project is a burden rather than joyful. If you can afford it keep going; even at a tortoise-like pace. Or pack it up and store it. The fire will eventually come back; probably when your son is old enough to recognize how cool it would be to someday own an old Porsche. THEN you will be very thankful that you kept it. Besides, at this stage of the game you're probably upside down in it and will suffer a severe beatdown if sold.

Good luck sir.
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

+1 agree with above, you will regret selling.
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenAcworth View Post
    +1 on what Frank says... it is always (somewhat of) a pleasure to agree with him!!!
    It’s a great feeling, eh?

Semjon,

A couple observations:

1) You would not be the first guy on this board to get burned out with an SWB project. My restoration of '065 took NINE YEARS. Rebuilding the engine took FOUR. It does not take four years, it takes a week. But as you say, other priorities, projects, family, job, all these things need time also. My buddy Spencer in England has been working on rebuilding the ENGINE of his 965 for at least the last seven years. . . that's a guy who knows how to PERSEVERE. Here's his thread, all 53 pages of it. . . just for fun. http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-e...anagement.html

2) A long-term restoration goes through peaks and valleys itself. Remember my "restoration setbacks that make you sigh" thread? http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ation+setbacks

Remember this one?

My point is, that you just have to laugh this stuff off, even post it up here, and move forward.

What items are on your list to complete the car? If you want to post up a list I am happy to help you prioritize it into "get it driving" and "do it later." While somewhat riskier (because once you get driving the incentive to finish all the little things is not as strong) it can provide you the motivation to finish.

You have gone through so much, your effort deserves to be brought to a beautiful conclusion.

And once you start driving it and spin the motor up to 7000 RPM. . . . you will forget we ever had this discussion!
    Last edited by 304065; 06-21-2018 at 02:08 PM.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Xavier Petit-Jean-Boret Xavier PJB's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 304065 View Post
    And once you start driving it and spin the motor up to 7000 RPM. . . . you will forget we ever had this discussion!
    That is it !

Time is an ally, not an enemy.
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

Ahhhh..... Semjon some "inspiration for your perspiration" . . . an old classic!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yfYHCbyo6CE" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

If you own it and are not in need of half of the money invested so far . I would not think twice about keeping it.
    I though my restoration on a SWB would be 8 months or a year. Flash forward 5 years later I am still far away from realizing a finished product.
    My wife stated when I started the car that I should wait till the kids lost interest in me (They are now 5 and 9 years old) before I startwd on a Porsche Project. That was right when my second daughter was born.
    The project has been put on hold countless times. I have come to a point that it will be done when it is done. I enjoy Thinking about the finish line when I am to busy to take action. I really love it when I can complete a simple project to move it a little bit closer to the end.
    Keep the faith !!!
    On the other hand if you have to give it up ! Make a deal with someone who will share in your time so you can see it to the end.
    I am sure there is plenty of people that would share the reward of finishing the car.
    Doug Lehman
    Member #2825
    1966 912

1978 911SC Targa fun in the sun