Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1973 RSR works 120L Safety fuel cell

1973 RSR works 120L Safety fuel cell

Hi all,

I'm in the process of building myself a RSR tribute/replica.
    With the point where I have to ship the bare shell to a metal worker nearing, I'm trying to establish what fuel tank I need to fit, as the mechanic will need to create a duct for the oil cooler. It'll all need to nicely fit, so I reckon I need to decide on what fuel tank to use pretty soon.

The Factory RSRs in 1973 were delivered with a plastic 110L fuel tank; however, the works cars were delivered with a FIA approved FT3 120L safety fuel cell, according to the 'from R to RSR' book by Starkey.
    I've seen a picture of one of the works cars in Vallelunga, where this fuel cell is visible, so with the car I'm building representing the #8 Martini works car as it did the Recce at the Targa Florio, and the Targa being after the race in Portugal, I should really try to get my car fitted with this fuel cell.

Is there anyone here that has information (specs, dimensions, vendor) of this fuel cell?
    thanks!

Patrick
    Attached Images Attached Images    

wow, if even here no-one knows anything about this fuel tank, i'm getting worried.
    Surely someone must know the brand or have more details of this fuel tank?

Experts will chime in. There are a boatload of pictures and comentary on the Martini cars on this site and pelican. May want to search. There are also several well documented very accurate replicas on the site

I think “delivered” is a bit of a misnomer. These cars were never alike for two races in a row. And no two cars were alike. I *believe* at least one was even recycled/converted ‘72ST car as evidenced by the right hand oil fill door.

The tank in the picture is likely a much later retrofit. Looks to be made of carbon fiber which was not in common use in ‘73

The last picture is a genuine RSR, and seeing how similar it looks to the other vintage pictures I’ve seen, I’m pretty sure this is a real fiberglass tank.
    And believe me, I’ve studied this subject for over 5 years, so it’s definitely not out of laziness I’m asking.
    It’s not in Konradsheim RS book, nor in the R-to-RSR, and I’ve seen only 1 replica on this site where this tank was copied from the 0588 Martini RSR mold; I’ve reached out to that builder but have not yet heard back..
    Hoping someone may know more...

You may want to check with kevin Jeannette w Gunnar Racing if you haven’t already. He restored one of the 74 turbo rsr cars back to its original as raced in ‘73 non turbo form — it was one of the factory martini rsrs and had one of the tanks. he molded a new one.

http://www.gunnarracing.com/project/...art-1108-2.htm

I reached out to KJ w Gunnar Racing, who, after repeated emails from my end, finally committed sometime last year to build me a fuel cell when his schedule allowed.
    We all know he's good at what he does, and that he has heaps of interesting projects on the go, but mine got pushed out to "2020" initially, then it became "spring 2020" and now.... nothing.

So although I still love for KJ to help me out with this, I can't seem to convince him to move this up the priority list, and again, seeing on insta what he's busy with, I can't really blame him.
    But, after having been strung along for almost 18 months now, I can't delay any further and need to decide way way or another what to do.
    My chassis is nearly ready for paint, and I need to know how to fit a fuel cell and where the dry break holes need to go.

So, who else could help me with this? The only pictures I've been able to find of a 120L fuel cell are these, and they're not enough to model one on I think.
    Name:  mart-1122-02.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  111.2 KBName:  mart-1122-01 bottom mold.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  65.0 KB
    Last edited by patrick911; 04-13-2020 at 09:36 PM.
    Member #3508
    1973 911 2.4T
    1976 911S -> 2.8RSR replica
    "if nothing goes right, go left!"

Quick update and a request.

So KJ kept his promise and built me a housing for the fuel cell, based exactly on the original. Yay!!
    However, it will need to get a bladder fitted and FuelSafe are not responding (I reached out to them as they did the one that KJ used when he made the housing/cell for the Martin car he worked on in 2008).

Name:  thumbnail_06.09.20%20030[2].jpg
Views: 429
Size:  119.8 KB

I am reaching out to ATL now, but are there other options that people here may have experience with?
    Member #3508
    1973 911 2.4T
    1976 911S -> 2.8RSR replica
    "if nothing goes right, go left!"

Wow!......that's just beyond cool Patrick, the detail you're putting into your project is staggering!

.....and I thought I had my work cut out trying to find an Aussie mirror!

Superb Patrick.

Google returned this:

https://www.australianfuelcells.com....tom-fuel-cells

If I were you, I'd ring their phone untill someone answers...
    Emails are great, but talking to actual people often makes a difference (but you probably already know that)
    Olivier.

Glad to see that you make progress with this cell. Great work of KJ