Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 100 octane gas

Hi John,

When you say that you tested gas, what do you mean,, tested how the car performed on it or tested the gas with a analyse kit or ?????
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by NZVW View Post
    Hi John,

When you say that you tested gas, what do you mean,, tested how the car performed on it or tested the gas with a analyse kit or ?????
    Tested with an analyzer.

Wow, tested with an analyzer and found ethanol. Then "they" are lying to us. I retract my advice about Chevron in Monterey, with apologies.

Don't feel bad, Jim. It's been the same here in Texas. I'm not sure people are lying, I just think they don't know what they're talking about much of the time.

If you want 100 octane, buy 100LL avgas. It costs more and has lead, but it is alcohol-free. I used it for awhile in my '67 S, but discovered that the octane boosters in 100LL attacked the diaphragms in the Webers, so: be careful!

I was asking because I know ethanol raises octane and maybe they are putting in 20 % ethanol to get to 100 octane at which I will not put in my car. Chris
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

Actually,methanol LOWERS octane! Our ethanol is only about 75 octane, but a very rich ethanol mixture lowers combustion temperature and inhibits knock through evaporation cooling.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveFromNY View Post
    Tested with an analyzer.
    Allan Caldwell, PCA Technical Editor, wrote an Pano article in 2008 describing a quick, simple test to determine the level of ethanol in gasoline. I have been using this method for about 7 years; at first the 100/101 octane at Union 76 was ethanol free, but later tests showed up to 7% ethanol. I have been using VP Vintage for many years now.

Please send a PM and I will send a PDF of the article.
    Joe Hartman
    Early 911S Registry #157
    R Gruppe #174
    356 Registry

I researched this for a long time. The best I could find in California is VP C9 in the canister from a local supplier. You really can't find ethanol free gas in California from any normal retailer. In the past you could get it at marine gas stations along the coast at harbors, but no longer. Another bonus of living in this mis-managed state!! Proper gasoline, and grocery bags are illegal, but they legalized narcotics. You can't fix stupid as they say.
    1969 911 E #824

Quote Originally Posted by xpensivewino View Post
    I researched this for a long time. The best I could find in California is VP C9 in the canister from a local supplier. You really can't find ethanol free gas in California from any normal retailer. In the past you could get it at marine gas stations along the coast at harbors, but no longer. Another bonus of living in this mis-managed state!! Proper gasoline, and grocery bags are illegal, but they legalized narcotics. You can't fix stupid as they say.
    There's room for 11 more Californians in Texas. Wait. 9. Better hurry.