Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dual trombone coolers?

Dual trombone coolers?

Has anyone ever mounted duel trombone coolers. And if you ran just one then added a second how much temp reduction did you see?
    I'm running one Carrera cooler but I prefer the look of the trombones for my 67.
    Another question. Anyone know a source for strait brass tubing and the braze on fittings under the big brass hex head fittings?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1959 Auratium Green 356A Super w/ Rudge wheels
    1970 Irish Green 914-6 w/2.2S
    Current -1967 Bahama Yellow 912 POLO 2cam4 #1
    www.reSeeWorks.com
    Personalized Vintage Porsche's and parts
    I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself-Ferdinand Porsche

dual trombones on one side? speaking from personal experience the 28 tube radiant cooler is ok for smaller engines, but not adequate for our California , er... now rest of the country heat waves. We did double up TWO 28 tube coolers (one in each fender) of the rally car we built. Because that car is susceptible to tire thrown debris, we went with that detail. Results? in bumper to bumper hot L.A. traffic we were seeing 215 F.

My conclusion is that the standard trombone won't do much better doubling it up than a single.
    Member #755
    Conda Green 70 911S
    70 black 914-6 3.2
    70 911 "Speedster" project
    "74 IROC" tribute Jade Green RSR

I should have clarified. I meant one on each side. I'll probably end up with a Carrera cooler on each side. Here in the Denver area I saw 100 degrees and 7% humidity the other day. 90's and humidity in the teens to 20's is common in July and August. Then take 20% of the oxygen out of the air compared to sea level and you have a perfect climate for hot oil temps. On a high 90 temp, teens humidity, I see 210 in touring mode. If I were to drive hard I bet 230 plus. At 220 I back off and cruse. When I take the car along the central California coast (PCH) the oil temps stay in the 190 to 200 degree range.
    I have Elephants passenger side oil tank to Carrera cooler on the car now. If I use their crossover pipes to the drivers fender I'll have to alter my gas tank or buy a center fill one. I was hoping to avoid this. I won't add a front center cooler to my 67 as I don't like the look on a SWB car. Maybe some custom soft crossover lines. I'm open to suggestions.
    www.reSeeWorks.com
    I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself-Ferdinand Porsche

Auckland, New Zealand. And Los Angeles, USA.
    In theory adding another trombone cooler using cross over pipes will do little if anything to reduce your oil temp, as most of the cooling effect of the trombone style set up is due to heat loss along the length of the brass tubes running under the sill. I'm certain that practice will prove the theory! Running brass tubes along BOTH sills could be achieved but at the expense of miles of tubing and added weight. If cosmetics is a barrier to a front mounted radiator-style cooler, then perhaps ducting air from the horn grilles to a front mounted cooler may work.
    What style front bumper are you running?
    Kiwi
    1972 911S
    1967 912
    1959 356A Conv D
    Early S Registry # 306

Your local temps are difficult for an Aircooled engine, especially now with your heat waves. I was in CA last week and it hit 109 in the valley.
    Fortunately for us DownUnder (NZ) most of us only see engine temps above 210 under hard track driving. Mostly 180-190 for regular driving mixed with spurts of spirited driving.
    I think your idea of dual Carrera coolers will be the answer.
    Kiwi
    1972 911S
    1967 912
    1959 356A Conv D
    Early S Registry # 306

Steel bumper. I inspected my horn grill and fog light grill openings. The air is driven mostly to the lower half of the cooler. I'm going to deflect some of the air up. I'm guessing the cooler might be heat sinking a bit up behind the headlight. I might also alter or cut out the fog light bracket in the bumper. My engine takes precedence over keeping my fog light bracket.
    I talked to Chuck at Elephant today. He makes cross over lines that work on the long hoods with a standard gas filler system. That would be my preference over a center fill tank. I think the center fill is cool looking, but side fill lets my wife and I stuff more stuff under the hood when touring.
    The bumper has been repainted since these pictures.
    www.reSeeWorks.com

Alternatively you could fab up a scoop and use your fog light brackets as attachment points (thus preserving your brackets & originality of the bumper - you never know when you’ll change your mind ) then duct the air to where it’s needed.
    I love that you & your wife use the luggage compartment. When I tour, I can just fit the old style Samsonite Oyster and a couple of soft bags up front & my set of Tartan bags in the back. Then, there’s always the roof rack!
    Kiwi
    1972 911S
    1967 912
    1959 356A Conv D
    Early S Registry # 306

Tartan. Cool.
    When I had my interior done 2011 ish, this material was called Buchanan Reproduction. Martha picked it and it seems to be a favorite with the ladies.
    This is a picture taken by Randy Wells for Excellence.

http://www.thescottishweaver.com/buc...l#.W0fiptVKiUk
    www.reSeeWorks.com

I now have some experience with duel trombone oil coolers. With one Carrera cooler I would back off when I hit an indicated 225 degrees and cruise on a 90 to 100 degree day. With my custom duel triples, (4 to make 2), the oil temperature never goes over 190 degrees indicated no matter how hot or how hard I drive. Heat issue solved. As stated above I prefer the look of the trombones. The system holds 13 quarts.
    www.reSeeWorks.com

Here is some fab work we're doing on the next POLO car. This one is being built at this time with duel Carrera coilers. The air will be forced through the cooler top to bottom. Without this the air only really hits the bottom 2/3rds of the cooler with any force. If the car runs a little hot in stop and go traffic, we'll have an inline fan option. That fan is designed to be a jet engine for radio controlled planes. At 1/4 power it shoots all over the floor. It will mount to the passenger side panel if needed.
    That's a metal bumper.
    My goal as always is to do things I've never seen done before.
    Last edited by Chris Pomares; 07-19-2022 at 06:48 AM.
    www.reSeeWorks.com