Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dual trombone coolers?

The custom trombones are interesting and aesthetically pleasing.

I have always wondered about the efficiency of the Elephant Racing finned oil lines. https://www.elephantracing.com/porsc...ned-oil-lines/

Elegant to turn the lines themselves into a cooler component. Anyone have experience with them and how much they aid?

Another interesting aspect of these lines is a valve that allows evacuation of the lines and cooler with compressed air when changing oil. They say it results in removal of another 1-2 quarts of oil.

Jim
    1973 911E Targa
    Firemist Cognac

I heard many years ago that the problem with using a tube to cool oil was that the oil on the outside diameter of the tube would cool and slow down and the hot oil would just run thru the center of the tube and come out the far end just as hot as it went in. Thats why some tube coolers have a piece of aluminum spiraled through them.
    Bob B
    Last edited by SIMI BOB; 07-20-2022 at 01:02 AM.

member #1515
    the Lempke Terbratrol cooler worked just like that.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

interesting thread -- i also find the trombone coolers more aesthetically pleasing and 'period looking'. i avoided the Carrera cooler for this reason in my car -- i also really didn't like the idea/look of an electric fan on the cooler.
    Bill

Early 911S Registry Member #4087
    Instagram: @myflat6

'72T hotrod 210 0228
    '82SC Targa
    '97C4S (sold - and regretting it)

"Another interesting aspect of these lines is a valve that allows evacuation of the lines and cooler with compressed air when changing oil. They say it results in removal of another 1-2 quarts of oil."
    Jim

That valve with compressed air works well. I think when I built the whole system I put 14 quarts in. Now with the case, tank, and lines cleared, I get 13 quarts out. So it looks like I'm getting all but one quart cleaned out. The valve is hidden behind the bodywork on the vertical part of the outboard tube close to the thermostat. The thermostat is now doing what it was designed to do. Regulate and keep the temperature at 190 degrees. The needle just stays at 190 degrees indicated once the engine is fully warmed up.
    As to whether the oil in the tubes is hotter in the center I can't say. What I will tell you, is with what's on the car now, it runs up to35 degrees cooler on a 90 to 100 degree day when driving hard compared to a single Carrera cooler on the passenger side. My guess is the longer you can keep the oil out of the engine, the cooler the oil will be. When the oil is hot I can touch the two crossover tubes under the hood and it's noticeable the difference in temperature after the oil has gone through the drivers side cooler.

I'm going to try driver and passenger two loop coolers on a car that's getting a 3.2 liter SC case based engine. It will have RSR size MFI induction, four bearing S cams, a fuel pump rebuilt by Fairchild Industries with a custom space cam, and one of SSI's newest large tube heat exchangers. We're shooting for 230 plus hp with good torque. I suspect S cams will act more like E's
    when it comes to torque with an extra half litter over a 2.7 RS engine. I'm hoping strong torque comes on at about 3500 rpm.
    I'll be interested to see if the two, two loop coolers can keep the temperature in check. If not I'll change them out for Carrera coolers.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by Chris Pomares; 07-20-2022 at 06:45 AM.
    1959 Auratium Green 356A Super w/ Rudge wheels
    1970 Irish Green 914-6 w/2.2S
    Current -1967 Bahama Yellow 912 POLO 2cam4 #1
    www.reSeeWorks.com
    Personalized Vintage Porsche's and parts
    I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself-Ferdinand Porsche

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Pomares View Post
    Here is some fab work we're doing on the next POLO car. This one is being built at this time with duel Carrera coilers. The air will be forced through the cooler top to bottom. Without this the air only really hits the bottom 2/3rds of the cooler with any force. If the car runs a little hot in stop and go traffic, we'll have an inline fan option. That fan is designed to be a jet engine for radio controlled planes. At 1/4 power it shoots all over the floor. It will mount to the passenger side panel if needed.
    That's a metal bumper.
    My goal as always is to do things I've never seen done before.
    Very cool
    We built similar system with dual cooler in the battery boxes
    #rennfrog

OliveR,
    Very cool. I like it. Are those the ones Tuthill sells? I looked at those and really liked them. I also saw a long hood with duel 944 Turbo oil coolers somewhere. There're several ways to get to the same place most of the time.
    Here are a couple other pictures. Another scoop will be added closer to the front wheel well. The rear panel comes off easily to jack up the car if needed. Will it help with cooling? Probably not, but it looks cool. The hot air is mixed with cool air three times and exhausted out the rear wheel well.
    I got the idea from this early four cam Carrera.
    www.reSeeWorks.com
    I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself-Ferdinand Porsche

The 73 RS Safari Rally #0285 used custom dual trombones over the top of each front tire, mounted in a horizontal position... photo was from the web
    Ernie W
    member of Early 911S Registry

I gotta love a guy who puts two triple loop trombones on their car! Awesome!
    Another guy who can think out of the box! Tradition can only take you so far.
    Fortunately that was one of Ferdinand strong points, an open mind.
    www.reSeeWorks.com

member #1515
    The 28tube cooler is effective and strong.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs