Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paint Code Question 335-9-3 vs. 8686 (gemini blue metallic)

Paint Code Question 335-9-3 vs. 8686 (gemini blue metallic)

Paint tag on door has tag as follows: 335-9-3 as paint code. COA and Kardex info shows 8686. Apparently its the same color, gemini blue metallic.
    Build date was October '72. So it was a very early '73. Does this make sense? I looked around and there has been some discussion on this just wanted some input here before I stamp the new tag I have. The old tag is pretty bad. Looking forward to comments.
    Thanks

This is a April 1972 of mine
    The COA states Gemini Blue Metallic / 86 and this is the Door Tag
    Name:  Image 11-07-18 at 9.47 AM.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  133.8 KB

Hope this helps
    Mark

This gives some explanation: http://www.356-911.com/modelinfo/911...olours7173.htm

You have the paint code on the tag, to which an “administrative” code was mapped depending on the body (targa/coupe) of the car. The first two digits of the “administrative” code are common.

E.g. Gemini Blue Met. = 330 = 86 -> 8610 for targa and 8686 for coupe

An addition. The paint tag code can change over time.
    E.g. Green Met. = 221/224/230 = 83 -> 8310 for targa and 8383 for coupe.
    E.g. Gemini Blue Met. = 330/335 = 86 -> 8610 for targa and 8686 for coupe
    Last edited by Adore911; 07-10-2018 at 09:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rmfent View Post
    Paint tag on door has tag as follows: 335-9-3 as paint code. COA and Kardex info shows 8686. Apparently its the same color, gemini blue metallic.
    Build date was October '72. So it was a very early '73. Does this make sense? I looked around and there has been some discussion on this just wanted some input here before I stamp the new tag I have. The old tag is pretty bad. Looking forward to comments.
    Thanks
    Who is doing your stamping? If you haven't decided yet, I highly recommend International Mercantile. They have the factory correct original stamping tools for the job. You just send them your blank repro metal paint plate and they stamp it for you.

https://im356-911.com/
    70 914-6 #2615 (Metallic Green) - SOLD
    74 US Carrera Coupe #63 (Lime Green)
    73 911 T Coupe #1891 (Gemini Blue)

Highly recommended: http://car-bone.pl/shop/color-code-d...914-1969-1980/
    100% factory correct

Yea Car Bone is another option, but good luck trying to get a reasonable turn around time from Europe!
    70 914-6 #2615 (Metallic Green) - SOLD
    74 US Carrera Coupe #63 (Lime Green)
    73 911 T Coupe #1891 (Gemini Blue)

My paint tag shows 335-9-3 instead of 330-9-3. It was a Canadian deliver car. It is however 8686 Gemini Blue Metallic.
    Can someone explain whats going on?
    Thanks,
    Frank

The early 70's were a period of change for paint codes at Porsche. The old code scheme from the 50's & 60's consisted of a two digit year and two digit color combination. There were exceptions with the 5 digit Lesonal codes. Then for 1970 a two digit scheme was implemented and doubled for body & roof combinations. Targa roofs were generally black hence the xx10 codes; BTW I have never seen an example of a non black Targa roof example on a paint badge. Although the badges in 1972 changed to the xxx-y-z format the 70-71 scheme continued in the records used for the COA's. In the case of Gemini blue, and a few other colors, the base code (3 digit) changed occasionally without the marketing code (2 digit) changing also. I am trying to determine the VIN's that the badge coded changed. So, Frank, Mark, can you provide the VIN for your car and the compliance decal date code if it still exists please.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Quote Originally Posted by davep View Post
    ...the compliance decal date code if it still exists please.
    US compliance decals are of course only on US delivered cars... if you just bought a car from another country you will not find it... I do not know if Canada used comparable decals. In Europe for sure we have no decal like that on the B-pillar. (We have other kinds of decals on more recent cars)

Rmfent, please read the information I provided above. As davep also said, 335 is, like 330, just another mapping to Gemini Met., which was applied for a specific period in time. Nothing strange with it. It can always be brought down to a specific VIN range etc.
    Last edited by Adore911; 07-10-2018 at 09:11 PM.