Thread: 1971 911T Options / Build Info

1971 911T Options / Build Info

Hi All,

Pardon me asking about a T on the S forum, however I am wondering if anyone can help with some rather specific build information on these early cars. I own a 1971 (October '70 delivered - Florida I believe) US car Eng 9111120257 / Vin ... 4240. Option codes as per the COA include; 1) adjustable Koni's, 2) rear demist (2 stage), 3) appearance group (S gauges, gold lettering, etc), and 4) steel wheels & chrome caps. My Car (believed to be completely stock) is fitted with the more desirable Weber 40IDA carburettors and 5 speed 901 transmission. It's now sporting 6X15" fuchs.

My question relates to the specific build options for the 1971 911T's, where according to Peter Morgan's 'Original Porsche 911' bible, on page 37 he states; 'The T changed to cheaper Zenith carbs in place of webers.... Some '71 T's used Webers, however, for reasons unknown'... and 'The T retained the four speed box as standard, with a 5-speed as an option'.

Specifically then, does anybody know how many '71 T's were delivered with Webers and why (was this just a situation of the parts bin being filled with Zeniths' and no longer webers, so a build with webers was just pure luck in that year), and if my car is stock and has a 5-speed, why was this 'option' not on the COA?

Strange one perhaps, but I figured I would ask it anyway.

Cheers,

Adam

I cannot help with the Weber question, but the 5-speed option may have been part of a sales type. The sales type sets the base spec for the model for sale. So if the sales type was for a 5-speed coupe, then the clerk filling out the COA may not have considered it as an option.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Thank you Davep,

This is very interesting and I appreciate it.

I just went out and jacked up my same '71 (70 build year) T and inspected the front calipers as I have a set of Ate S Calipers just fresh from PMB in the US sitting on my work bench. Turns out, my car HAS a set of Ate S Calipers on it already (ok, so I've not looked at it closely yet since buying in 2018), and when I gave the top of the caliber a scrub, I noticed the large and clear 'X' marking in the circle, and even more interestingly (and very clearly) a '69' stamp just below it. I had thought (but definitely don't know for sure) that S callipers were not actually date stamped... mine are very clearly marked '69'.

Is it thus feasible then, that this T might have been sold new as part of a sales type with Ate S Calipers as well as the 5 speed, both without being mentioned on the COA? I can't believe my luck, this car is a complete time warp.

Very interested in your thoughts.

Best,

Adam

The 69 is not a date stamp. More like a production # or inspector stamp. I think that the Koni option requires the S calipers.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Quote Originally Posted by davep View Post
    The 69 is not a date stamp. More like a production # or inspector stamp. I think that the Koni option requires the S calipers.
    Fantastic intel, many thanks once more for this information Davep.

Adam

My November 70 built 1971 T RoW also has Weber and 5 speed as an option.
    I assume the switch was around late 1970/1971, Porsche was known for using up older stock until starting with a new item.

You cant really say Weber are more “desirable”as Zenith on a T, I drove both systems on my engine (due to some troubles while my engine was in service) and the Zenith feel much better in response, also their sound is better. But true, very few 1971 T are with Weber.

As of what I know, my car had Koni when we got it in 2005, it was unrestored.

Here is 1971 option list for USA (RoW had another list)
    Your US-market car could have been ordered “standard” as 5 speed, see price categories below.
    As for RoW markets, it was simply an option among others.
    Name:  ABE3E506-31EA-496A-BEB1-7C92AA46F4C8.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  77.5 KB
    Last edited by 911T1971; 02-23-2019 at 11:57 PM.
    Registry member No.773