Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: sunglasses....Jay Leno.......and you and me

I've worn glasses since I was a kid, spent a lifetime in very sunny places but really didn't begin wearing sunglasses until my 30's. As a teenager I got my first pair with flip-ups for flying. From white-out above miles of cloud cover, to ocean or desert glare, being young and adventurous included that sense of invincibility. Then my ophthalmologist showed me images of lens damage from all those years of exposure that will certainly become cataracts sooner or later. Do what you want, but a good pair of polarized sunglasses can save your vision. No blue lenses, but I do sometimes wear shooting glasses when driving at night.
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

Well the main thing is you want lens that block UV light - especially at the shorter wavelengths as that is what causes the most tissue damage that can lead to cataracts. Polarizing lens block reflected light but don't necessarily block UV.

Phil
    Early S Junkie # 658

. . . Never Leave Home Without 'Em

Quote Originally Posted by 70tangerine View Post
    . . . "I hate wearing sunglasses , I always want to take them off and see things for real!..."....lol

I feel the same way!..its like they shield me from really seeing things!

any1 feel the same? . . .

Had to wear eyeglasses since I was 16. But never wore sunglasses --- ever . . . 'till about 5 years, ago . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Bullethead View Post
    . . . ophthalmologist showed me images of lens damage from all those years of exposure that will certainly become cataracts sooner or later . . .
    That was me --- cataracts

Years spent outdoors --- hiking, riding bikes, etc . . .

Artificial lenses in both eyes, now. No more eyeglasses --- 20/20 vision, finally . . . but sun glasses? . . .

We Can Be Heroes

Having spent my whole life in the mountains, I've worn sunglasses from an early age. Skiing, climbing, hiking and water sports all done at 7000 feet and up will sear your eyeballs. I once spent six days climbing a route on El Capitan. Yosemite granite is almost white and my eyes were within arms length of the wall the whole time. I dropped my shades on the first day. It took months to recover my sight. Now they are a constant, on keepers, around my neck. Vuarnet Skilynx 2000.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

Vuarnet......those were the shit back in the 80s.....

wearing this model and ...only this one... since the late 90ies

have about 50 of them in different colour/glass combination
    Attached Images Attached Images

those were once very hip/desired here in the US...but not for a very long time now.........now you often see them in discounted marts