Thread: Original Paint, data plate error

Original Paint, data plate error

So I have this original paint (documented) early 1973T that I just came across. Good car, 20,800 miles, MFI. I have documented the originality by dismantling an abundance of things, even used a paint meter, and ordered a cert of authenticity. But the door jamb paint plate reads a different color.

So... How common is this?

I had a vintage 1966 Mercedes that had a data error somewhat similar. Original soft top color was shown as blue on the kardex on a white & brown car. It had an original goldenrod top that was documented since new though.

Anyhow, any stories like this?
    Last edited by MichaelB.; 07-17-2018 at 03:25 PM.

This sort of error is very rare, but I think that you are not alone. It would be very useful for my research to have photos of everything to document this error.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Certainly Dave.

I will connect via PM.

Possible to share it to anybody to enlighten our common knowledge ?

Do you have real proof, except paint meter reading?
    How are the 4 pins of paint tag as well as its typo, how looks smuggler/webasto box.
    How look front shock towers, engine area and floor pans ?

Not saying you are wrong but visual proof is paramount.

Pls share with pics. Its easy to guess but harder to proof. Thx!
    Registry member No.773

Sure Karim, I am happy to share.

Its an original owner car, which I have photographs of the day he picked it up. That would be normally enough right? But... Even with that said, I am happy to continue to research. So... I looked to the four rivets at the door. Perfect. No paint change, no rivet change. Lettering correct. Smuggler box has A/C (factory) equipment, and factory paint. Same as floors, wheel wells, gas cap area, door hinge area, engine bay, strut towers, inside of doors, back of dash, knee pad, behind the headlights, taillights, etc., etc. And the best part? I am no layman. I have worked professionally (mechanical) with Porsche for 40 years, and am formally bodyshop trained.

I have a COA enroute, I am trying to get Dave above to help with a kardex, and all of the other things a Porsche guy can do. But... It looks as if it got some other cars paint plate while moving down the production line in Nov of 1972.

I luv the forensics so I will provide photos & details once the mystery is solved.

One possible answer is that 117 and 131 may have been in adjacent trays, and thus the wrong one was grabbed by the worker.
    There was a Kardex I got for a Speedster that stated the paint was sahara where the car had a black code and was black. Had to dig deeper to find the Reutter book also said black; so there was a definite error on a Kardex. Also have evidence of a 914 with a completely bogus number on the badge; stamped wrong at the factory. I think there were two 911's with the same VIN; and this was apparently a factory error, not hanky panky.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Thx guys , Really interesting !
    Kardex for 1973 will be nearly impossible to get, unless its a swiss/Amag car where we have another period document.

Would be interesting to share more, at least with some pictures.
    Last edited by 911T1971; 07-23-2018 at 11:41 AM.
    Registry member No.773

The US CoAs are frequently wrong also. Mine says Light Ivory though the paint tags says Light Yellow; all these almost 7 years I've had the car, no one has found a trace of Light Ivory. I recently found out that Light Yellow IS the original color. I also found the build date of April 72.
    Serge

City of Ben Franklin and Cheesesteaks
    Instagram: Truevisionmediaworks

Early S Registry #2457
    Daisy: 1972 T with 2.7 engine and Webers
    LOOKING FOR 911 Engine # 6123044

Rowlf: 2017 Volvo S60 with Polestar Optimization

Mostro di Biscotti: 1975 Lancia Fulvia 1.3S Series 2

Veronica: 1987 Carrera coupe - curves in all the right places...SOLD
    Lil' Blue: 2002 Subaru WRX Wagon SOLD

I got it to run today (been sitting four years). Marelli distributor had sidelined this car. Man it drives like a 20k mile car though. The transaxle shifts like new. The engine is quiet, the suspension is "touring" for sure. Seat belt warning light greeted me (whatdoyaknow), clock ticking away, radio playing my favorite song, the brakes are dragging ~ so back to the work bay... But oh boy - My wife will like this one.

Drove it home. Its a pleasure.

Here are a few shots:

Name:  IMG_8783.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  60.4 KB

Name:  IMG_8785.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  52.0 KB

Name:  IMG_8780.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  55.6 KB

Name:  IMG_8781.jpg