Thread: 4 screw horn grilles: differences between driver side and passenger side

4 screw horn grilles: differences between driver side and passenger side

Hello,

I have two sets of grilles.
    • I found the first one 25 years ago.
    • I found the second recently.

I am 90% sure that the grilles of the second set come from the same car: A 912 from 1965.

As we can see the grilles on the driver's side are slightly smaller than the grilles on the passenger side:

Name:  Les 2 jeux avec lignes.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  67.3 KB

And the "screw holes plates" have not the same width:

Name:  Jeu 1 pattes.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  63.4 KB

Name:  Jeu 2 pattes.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  59.6 KB

Also, have a look at this post:
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ht=horn+grille

And this one : http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...es-64-early-66

Any idea ?

Thanks.

59 750 pre unit triton
    63 650 gray silver bikinitub triumph thunderbird
    70 650 astralred silver triumph bonneville
    65 912 slate gray "erwin"
    73 914 ravennagreen "ferdl"
    erwin_loves_polo

Thank you very much haul.

Fascinating topic. We all knew that a Porsche was hand-assembled, but for the factory to go so far as to prepare several different sized grilles is really quite remarkable. I was so taken by the entire process that I removed the two two-screw hole grilles from my 1969 Karmann Coupe for comparison. Not only are they identical in every dimension, but there is no trace of any marking that might denote size or manufacturer. May we assume that by the time the LWB cars were introduced that the manufacturing tolerances and assembly processes were so standardized that custom fitted grilles were no longer necessary.