Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question on 68 driveshafts one year only

Question on 68 driveshafts one year only

Hi all,
    Does anyone knows the purpose of the parts 7,8 and 9 on the 68 loebro driveshafts?

I believe these parts are NLA and if I know it’s purpose maybe it will be easier to replicate them.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Name:  F4D31A1C-6AE1-48B6-81E6-5726EDDFE9C1.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  42.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by AlexJ View Post
    Does anyone knows the purpose of the parts 7, 8 and 9 on the 68 loebro driveshafts?
    Alex, number 7 is an oil cap, number 8 an O-ring and number 9 a retaining clip. They were phased out in early 68 and not used with flanges (number 6) for simplified differentials.
    If your flanges are not machined for those parts, then you don't need them and cannot use them.

Name:  DSCN0393.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  122.4 KB

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

Quick question Jon. Are the 68 rear wheel hubs/ flanges the same as the LWB one's.? Spline count etc. ?

Many thanks
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by stretch View Post
    Quick question Jon. Are the 68 rear wheel hubs/ flanges the same as the LWB one's.? Spline count etc. ?

Many thanks
    Dave
    Quick answer..................No.
    Longer answer 68 (only 68, though) axle flanges can be interchanged with 69 LWB cars (early 69 YM cars) equipped with aluminum case transmissions. Spline count is actually the same but there are many other subtle differences that make them not compatible with later mag case transmissions.

Regards

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by stretch View Post
    Dave, the rear wheel hubs and flanges were different for 69, due in part to different CV joints and rear wheel bearings.
    The spline counts might be the same, but the spline lengths were shorter on the later outer flanges.

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

Thanks guy's, much appreciated.

Dave

Jim, I hadn't seen your reply when I began to reply myself.
    I thought that Dave was referring to the outer axle flanges, since he also mentioned the rear wheel hubs. Maybe he'll have to clarify which flanges he's referring to.

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    To avoid confusion I refer to the trans output, as drive flanges, and trailing arm parts as wheel flange and stub axle.

Jon,
    i will post a picture over the weekend. I bought a bunch of parts, but i am not sure if the drive flanges, stub axles and hubs are suitable for my future 68 build.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Jon B View Post
    Jim, I hadn't seen your reply when I began to reply myself.
    I thought that Dave was referring to the outer axle flanges, since he also mentioned the rear wheel hubs. Maybe he'll have to clarify which flanges he's referring to.

Jon B.
    Vista, CA
    Jon

I had to reread the post and realized that it was you who Dave wanted to respond. Sorry for butting in.

Ciao

Jim