Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Choice of Interior Color Red or Black for Late '65 911 Build

Choice of Interior Color Red or Black for Late '65 911 Build

I am almost finished with an Oct '65 Light Ivory 911 complete matching numbers. Car will be a very nice car when done. This has been a 3 year project complete restoration at a very high level. Car came with black vinyl interior as most did. I am considering putting in a red interior. I know most guys would not agree with me or maybe they would. Not planning on selling the car immediately but might 5 years out. A few in the know on this site have suggested I go with red as it contrasts very nice with the white exterior. As we all know there are a lot of black interiors out there.. Just wanted some feedback from the gallery. All comments are welcome.
    Thanks

It's your car, do what you want.

It's a RESTORATION, which means that even if you entered it in the PCA concours, you don't have to produce the Certificate of Authenticity. So an otherwise original appearing red interior is the same as a black one from a judging perspective. Not that that matters.

Photo?
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

With light Ivory there's always TAN...…. Just say'n
    I've seen that combo and it looks great... IMHE - not as stark or jarring as black or red...

cm
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Banned
    For some strange reason Chuck I equate Tan with estrogen. Light Ivory with Tan screams 912. Or Sportomatic.

I think it comes down to how insecure you are Frank.

The second question know-it-all's will ask (right after "Is it matching numbers?") is

"Is THAT the original interior color?"

As long as you're loud and proud about changing the color and don't let anyone make you feel like less of a purist, I would change it.

Here's the real question: Are you building it for you or the next owner?

I would do black interior with pepita/houndstooth seats, with white pattern.

Current long term ownership: 63 Cab, 71 911, 74 914

I've always found the best reply to be, "I don't know...what do you think?".
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

member #1515
    Black is boring, have you considered green? Otherwise red is very nice.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Easy decision. You like red? Go red. As a "high level" car, the cost of swapping back to black (if a buyer insists on originality) is relatively insignificant, and the sale of your red interior may recoup much of that cost. You might even consider that three-tone pepita (red-white-black) for the centers. Full disclosure: I miss my old '66...
    Name:  1966 911 005.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  113.8 KB

I second the black interior with houndstooth inserts on the seats. Also when you sell. there is one less story to tell. If you must; keep the original interior. Chris
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

Red works with white.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    S Registry#2021