Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Choice of Interior Color Red or Black for Late '65 911 Build

I would either go black with black/white houndstooth or red with black/white/red houndstooth.
    I may sell this car in the future as I have a much earlier Jan. '65 I will be doing some time next year and that car will be the keeper for sure. At the end of the day it doesn't cost much for someone to change out the seats and door panels from red to black if they really do want a 100% correct car. AS we all know the 356 guys do this all the time. Doesn't seem to affect there collectibility or valuations. Just my 2 cents. Appreciate all the comments and would welcome some additional.

For me it would be black. The black really pops with light ivory. That is if you can find black. Not the grayish stuff the trimmers seem use now. A good finish for black is German, Einzett spray. 1 Z. It deepens the color and puts a semi gloss that original vinyl quickly developed. No greasy or slime feel or appearance. I just restored the original black vinyl for my light ivory 67S. It really looks the business and is evocative of many race 911s of the day.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

Green interior with white exterior.

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ejboyd5 View Post
    Green interior with white exterior.
    A green interior would probably hurt value because that wasn't a factory choice by October 1965. Green apparently was available in early '65 and somebody posted pictures of an early champagne yellow car with a green interior.

Back on 24 September 2010, Jim Schrager wrote The Money of Color: Reflections on How 356 Colors Can Affect Your Pocketbook for the 356 Registry. At the time, he concluded that color changes [generally] don't hurt value (Togo Brown hurts). But, these cars are worth a lot more now. In September 2010, Hagerty says top dollar for a '66 911 was $77,900--today it's $197,000! With the new economics, buyers may be stickier about originality.

Red vs. Black

I'm torn. I don't like black, but I like originality. The houndstooth inserts in my 911's black seats do go a way towards breaking up the darkness. And, there's some wood and the light headliner. Maybe if I'd known 20 years ago that green was an option I'd have been tempted.

If you're changing colors, you could go all the way and paint the car slate grey. Slate grey with a red interior, now that's a color combination!
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

I think I have a listing of green interior for sept 1965, but certainly it was mostly A, B, C, D after that; how boring. The nice thing about light ivory or white is that it looks good with almost every other accent color; just look at the 911RS color combos. I think Pepita inserts are the way to go as well.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Color of course is subjective, but shades of red are all over the place when in comes to aftermarket Porsche interiors installed into restored cars. IMO, darker shades look good but Bordello reds look out of place in our cars. If you go with red, first get samples.

Dave: Did 65 911s come from the factory with any carpet other than black/charcoal velour?
    John Schiavone

Connecticut

356 Cab, 66 911, 914-6, 550-Beck, 981 Cayman, 54 MV Agusta Dustbid

If you're not following the Kardex, what difference does it make? In 1965 Porsche would provide any exterior/interior for which a customer was willing to pay. A green interior coupled with either a white or black exterior is very tasteful, understated, and something you will not run into every day.

Good point Ed. Steve Harris' impeccable slate gray 66 911 sold at Gooding Amelia this year for $258.500 (w/C) with interior color change from black to red. In this case I think the change helped.

When I restored my 66 911 I changed from B-yellow/black to slate/red because I like the combo. It's still period correct. Besides, someone could always change it back if matching Kardex is that important.
    John Schiavone

Connecticut

356 Cab, 66 911, 914-6, 550-Beck, 981 Cayman, 54 MV Agusta Dustbid

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davep View Post
    I think I have a listing of green interior for sept 1965, but certainly it was mostly A, B, C, D after that; how boring. The nice thing about light ivory or white is that it looks good with almost every other accent color; just look at the 911RS color combos. I think Pepita inserts are the way to go as well.
    It seems green interiors were always rare, even on 356s. But, there's a Glacier White (mint green) 1958 Porsche 356A Reutter Coupe with green leatherette for sale on Bring a Trailer right now.

1964/1965 model year colors were discussed here about a year ago:

In that thread I learned that the late 356C exterior and interior colors were used until the first 911/912 color chart (published May 1965) which had color codes with the "66" prefix.

In the 356 era, most paint colors had two standard interior choices. Just two colors were paired with green interiors: Champagne Yellow paint had black or green, Black paint had red or green.

There were no standard interior pairings with the "66" paint codes. One could presumably order a Polo Red car with a red interior.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

Great info. A lot of valuable input from everyone. I have compared red vinyl to original red vinyl using the old upholstery books from Porsche.
    Color is not close. Did however find red leather to match original red leather used by Porsche in the day. Color spot on with a little differentiation in the texture but I think color is most important. So if I go red I would use red leather and if black I would go with the German Vinyl. Just wanted to update for thoughts and ideas. I know its personal preference and maybe I am trying to please everyone including myself. But I just wanted to throw it out there. I am an originality guy for sure as most are on this site. But these days a little personality may not be a bad thing and that slate grey car auctioned this year may confirm what I think is true in today's market in general.