Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Struggling with which tires to buy $$$$

Struggling with which tires to buy $$$$

Wondering if I should just buy 205/60/15 or 185/70/15 modern tires and drive it or spend big money for XWX that who knows how old they are even though they are new. I talked with a supplier of new XWX and they couldn't tell me how old they were just that they are stored in a dark room and wouldn't be a problem I am probably not going to drive it much and could buy 4 tires for the price of one XWX. I am not going to be tracking or going 140 mph. I don't like the fact that they wouldn't be correct but just afraid that not much use on XWX would be a bad investment.

If you're going to spend for the XWX, you're entitled to know the age of the tires you're getting.

I purchased the XWX from Coker a few years ago (4?). When I received them they were already a year old. I complained and they told me they are warrantied by tread depth rather than age. If that's true these may have a 15 year warranty. Somehow I don't think that's what they meant.
    Tom

Tires are required to be stamped for age, in weeks and year (e.g. 0817, or eighth week of 2017)—and it is definitely fair for you to ask how old they are before buying. Most view tires as a 5- to 6-year deal before they get too hard and "time out," so one year gone is quite a bit. And EVO magazine found that the winner of one of its tire tests performed worse than the last-place tire when a one-year-old example of the winning tire was mounted up and tested against the rest. Or was it six months old? Whatever it was, it was an eye-opener.

The XWXs are the kings of vintage looks (with vintage-era performance and, apparently, vintage inventory). The Pirelli CN36 are said to be much better in terms of performance and look spot on for period (a little less attractive to these eyes). Vredesteins are a relatively well-priced alternative with period looks and reasonable performance given the size/style of the tires. Porsche-approved Pirelli P6000s trade a bit of visual era purity for a much better tire, and can be had in 185/70, 1965/65, and 215/60 sizing. A set of P6000s are probably my call next time.

Any number of far cheaper 195/65R15 or 205/60R15 (check clearance with the latter) all-season tires will get you down the road, but may look wrong. Some here really like some of the offerings, including various A/S tires from Goodyear and Michelin.

The above is a decent summary, but there are some other threads on 15-inch tires, and they've got great info from a lot of folks.
    Last edited by stout; 07-29-2018 at 01:11 PM.

I recently bought the Pirelli CN36’s in 185/70 15 for my 73S. So far, I’m very impressed. They look good to me, and the handling is lively and light in my estimation. While I don’t push the car to its limits my gut is telling me the wider (205/60/15) A/S Michelin’s I replaced provided a bit more rear grip. The CN36’s are also quiet and complaint so the ride is nice. Period looks were probably the biggest factor in my decision so the CN36’s offered the look I wanted and while pretty pricey, they were a bit less than the XWX’s and had received a bunch of good reviews.

Nick
    Nick Psyllos
    S Reg & R Gruppe
    1973 Euro 911S
    1972 911T to ST

The XWX's are not made by Michelin , and I think are over priced for a reproduction made in Serbia . The CN36's are good . I think Vredisteins are a good value , not a reproduction and still made by Vredistein .

Check out Longstone Tire they carry all the vintage brands and have good pricing and excellent service.

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/
    Joe Annicelli
    Early 911S Registry #751
    Polo Red/Black 1967 Porsche 911S Coupe "Walter"
    Black/Red 1967 Alfa GTJr. Coupe "Nero"
    Italian Red 1994 Ducati 900SS/SP looks fast standing still
    Italian Red 1957 Gilera 150 Sport

Ahhhh the sixties... I envision myself one early Saturday morning wearing plaid shorts, black shoes with white socks smoking a cigarette heading to the hardware store to buy a bag of nails.
    SWB cars are an acquired taste however once acquired theirs no turning back.

Rick

I thought the OP asked a fair question; getting some opinions on recent tire experience is ok in my book. Out of curiousity I looked at the first link you listed. It’s 12 years old! What’s the point of that? I don’t see a problem here.
    Nick Psyllos
    S Reg & R Gruppe
    1973 Euro 911S
    1972 911T to ST

Agreed Nick. Tire offerings in our sizes are in flux (and dwindling generally). Certainly what we had available 12 years ago isn't relative. One can simply skip tire threads if they have no interest.