Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Struggling with which tires to buy $$$$

Quote Originally Posted by NickP View Post
    I recently bought the Pirelli CN36’s in 185/70 15 for my 73S. So far, I’m very impressed. They look good to me, and the handling is lively and light in my estimation. While I don’t push the car to its limits my gut is telling me the wider (205/60/15) A/S Michelin’s I replaced provided a bit more rear grip. The CN36’s are also quiet and complaint so the ride is nice. Period looks were probably the biggest factor in my decision so the CN36’s offered the look I wanted and while pretty pricey, they were a bit less than the XWX’s and had received a bunch of good reviews.

Nick
    Always great to get new insight for someone with miles on new offerings. Thanks for this...

As for the "chiding" above, maybe skip new tire threads and just order a set of A-008RS-IIs.

Now, how do I find some 20-year-old threads on preferred crankcase sealants?

The struggle is real... and I need to figure out what I am going to buy in the next couple of weeks. My car came 205/60s when I bought it back in '94, and I have continued with that sizing. Ed mentioned liking the Goodyear 195/65 for non-show use. I'd like a good performance option at a reasonable price in 195 or 205 sizes. Period correct is not important at this point.
    Neil
    '73 911S targa

More Struggling . . .

Quote Originally Posted by NickP View Post
    . . . I thought the OP asked a fair question; getting some opinions on recent tire experience is ok in my book. Out of curiousity I looked at the first link you listed. It’s 12 years old! What’s the point of that? I don’t see a problem here . . .
    No problem, Nick. But people 've been asking that same 'fair question' --- for 12 years, now (at least) . . . + 300-some times (ditto)

And how many times has it been answered? --- ie. how many posts? . . .

. . . I mean --- this site has a 'search function' . . .

And you're right --- who knows? --- maybe there's a recent (like, in the last year?) thread on the same topic? . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ighlight=tires
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ighlight=tires

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Simmeth View Post
    . . . Certainly what we had available 12 years ago isn't relative . . .
    Sure-sure

'At's one thread down . . .

. . . only 306 more to go

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Simmeth View Post
    . . . One can simply skip tire threads if they have no interest . . .
    Copy that

Attached Images Attached Images   

We Can Be Heroes

I even posted in one of those threads... guilty too. Maybe we should make a sticky thread on tires.
    Neil
    '73 911S targa

Quote Originally Posted by neilk View Post
    . . . posted in one of those threads... guilty too . . .
    No-no-no --- don't get me wrong, Neil . . . nothing wrong with posting . . .

. . . only just maybe check for/read/THEN post on a more-recent thread first?

'Cause no one's gonna read all those 307 threads . . .

. . . well --- maybe I will/have . . .

. . . but I'm a idiot

Last edited by LongRanger; 07-30-2018 at 04:42 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

^ Yes, yes, good to do a search, etc.

However, not sure I agree that there's a need to beat on the OP here or make them feel stupid/unwelcome for not searching? Especially if it leads to, you know, forum activity. Particularly from someone with recent info to add who may or may not click on an old thread they recognize.

As for a sticky...please be sparing with those. So many forums out there have so many stickies that you have to scroll a fair way down to get to the latest stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by stout View Post
    . . . not sure I agree that there's a need to beat on the OP here or make them feel stupid/unwelcome for not searching? . . .
    Uh-uh-uh --- no 'beating' (or Becking) intended . . . and hopefully not experienced. Totally understand the subject . . . as I'm sure that this topic will ALWAYS be one that many are interested in

But OP's been here 6 years, too, so . . . would 'search' be something all-that new?

So --- instead of a sticky . . . how 'bout? . . .

. . . Tires 2018? . . .

. . . or Tires 2017? . . .

. . . or 2016?

. . . or 2015? . . .

. . . or? . . .

We Can Be Heroes

Word of caution.

I ordered a set of Goodyear Eagle Sports to he installed by local tire chain, Discount Tire. I went to get them installed this morning when I asked about tire dates. One tire was 2017, 1 from 2016, and two from 2015. I refused to have those installed and asked that the tires at least be from 2017 forward. I also asked what their policy was on working on old tires, and they said they don’t work on tires older than 10 years old. I am certain that I won’t wear those tires out, but rather, they will age out, so no way am I accepting a tire that has already reached 30% of their limits.
    Neil
    '73 911S targa

Neil, I have Dunlop Direzza DZ102s in 205/55-15s on 7s all around on my 72 T...good grip in wet and dry; I've had them for around 2 years now, no complaints
    Name:  fullsizeoutput_e9d.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  190.2 KB
    Serge

City of Ben Franklin and Cheesesteaks
    Instagram: Truevisionmediaworks

Early S Registry #2457
    Daisy: 1972 T with 2.7 engine and Webers
    LOOKING FOR 911 Engine # 6123044

Rowlf: 2017 Volvo S60 with Polestar Optimization

Mostro di Biscotti: 1975 Lancia Fulvia 1.3S Series 2

Veronica: 1987 Carrera coupe - curves in all the right places...SOLD
    Lil' Blue: 2002 Subaru WRX Wagon SOLD

i debated between the Pirelli P6000's and the CN36 and went with the P6000. No complaints.

Name:  IMG-0902 (1).JPG
Views: 185
Size:  91.5 KB