Thread: Sanctuary Forum?

Banned

Sanctuary Forum?

Generating a thread in response to the ongoing discussion regarding new products and how initial research is conducted in this community. Previously started as a Mexican Hat dance in another thread.

I thought it wise to have its own thread. Peter, as you often do in other threads, perhaps you can import some of the posts over? Here's the original thread. (Action begins in post #38.)

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ero-quot/page4

It's fascinating to me that an undocumented guest (I.E: One who isn't a paid member, has just signed up, makes no contribution, and has zero investment or footprint in this community) can start a "price check" thread which is nothing more than a veiled silent auction and he's left alone. And yet a paid member with Gold Standard cred posts a thread about an exciting, previously impossible-to-buy part and he's silenced and the post is temporarily deleted ("moderated" as you call it). Something truly messed up with this.

I can only imagine the fallout if this continues. Early 911S Registry will not be the same community, will lose members, and people will go elsewhere. I suspect it may also nurture the birth of a competing forum.
    Last edited by Frank Beck; 08-01-2018 at 07:28 PM.

Open borders? Economic migrants? Comprehensive betrayal by the mods?
    Early 911S Registry
    Looking for engine 960 168
    Looking for gear box 103 165

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Flunder View Post
    Open borders? Economic migrants? Comprehensive betrayal by the mods?
    I certainly wouldn't be that hard on them. Comprehensive betrayal is a little harsh; I don't believe there's malice involved.

Wasn't aware that a nonmember (non paying) guest could start a thread or post. If so, maybe that should be revisited.
    John Schiavone

Connecticut

356 Cab, 66 911, 914-6, 550-Beck, 981 Cayman, 54 MV Agusta Dustbid

member #1515
    I agree with Frank, Eric needs to be granted a research license.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

I have just taken a quick look at who's on line at the moment. 139 members and 591 guests. Would i be right in thinking that we would not know if these 139 are paid members. ..? I have recently noticed the donation options that have recently been introduced on the registry.

Surely it would be better to only allow people to trade on this board if they are paid members.? It never ceases to amaze me the amount of sales traffic i see from people that never contribute in any other section of the registry. A serious loophole that is being abused on a grand scale. You can't sell on ebay for free.

The registry obviously needs a cash injection to fund it. Is " selling by paying members only" not a better way of raising revenue rather than asking for donations. ?

Policing of the registry seems a tough gig. I have also had a rant in the past as i though i was being punished unfairly. That is all in the past now although it did cool my enthusiasm to contribute with some technical advice.

Dave
    Last edited by stretch; 08-01-2018 at 11:19 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RSTarga View Post
    I agree with Frank, Eric needs to be granted a research license.
    #gofunderic

Lightbulb

I have just taken a quick look at who's on line at the moment. 139 members and 591 guests. Would i be right in thinking that we would not know if these 139 are paid members. ..? I have recently noticed the donation options that have recently been introduced on the registry.
    Unfortunately not Dave..... 139 refers to registered message board members, with user name and passwords, able to post, send and receive PM's.... Not paid members of the club... As stated, ours is a public message board. The 591 guests are the non-registered people that look in at any given time … they can't post, PM, or look at pics...

Hope this clarifies a bit,
    Chuck
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Subscribed. I certainly welcome & support the idea of allowing certain members the ability to test the waters here in creating new items. Many things out there still are NLA, and I hope the forum can't figure out a way to support those so heavily invested in the hobby.

Scott
    1968 911S
    1986 Carrera
    2006 Carrera S

1973 BMW 3.0CS - Frances (gone but not forgotten)

Thanks Frank for the continued discussion. I think General Info is still the best place for new items. I hopefully smartly released Eric's thread with a comment. We can all learn and adjust...even me.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100