Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: driving lights, how many is too many?

Attack of the 'Christmas Trees'

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin-Allocca View Post
    . . . purchased a set of TTG driving light from Eric Linden and now not sure I should install them. I am running the stock sugar scoops on my 68' and fog lights. I am worried that the TTG driving lights many be over the top. Before I push forward with the install I am seeking some input from this group . . .
    From a long-ago post . . .

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    . . . list of things that I will NEVER EVER defile my car with:

1) Through-the-grill- and hood-mounted accessory lights --- pustular, carbuncular, odious. The fog-lights are just precious, but does anybody really light-off their Cibie's and use them (or their car) the way they were intended? My car will see the other side of a buck-forty, but why would I want to pimple-up it's face with this mess? What's next? Dagmars and a swamp-cooler? Woof! . . .

I know-I know --- the pull to search-out/buy/stick-on 'stuff' on one's car is pretty strong . . . but my question is always? . . .

. . . is this something I Really Need (= gonna use)? . . .

. . . or is this just something I Gotta Have?

Lotsa cars have seats and steering wheels added, maybe a few special bits under the hood . . . my car does. Kinda expected. Tons o' this stuff out there, too --- from vendors more-than-happy to push it . . . and a lot of it genuine Real-Deal period/Porsche stuff, too . . .

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...-Early-Options

Maybe throw-in a few interesting period bits, too, like . . . a muffler skirt, some fender trim, maybe a roll bar . . . even mud-flaps

But then . . .

. . . flairs + fenders, tails, roof racks, decals, badges, bazooka exhausts? . . . topped-off by the inevitable cluster of lights? --- = yikes!

Car as 'Christmas tree' . . .

. . . aka The Volkswagen Disease

Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by LongRanger; 08-06-2018 at 08:27 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

My 911 72 had thru the grill 118's but I took them off when I had the car shipped down home because as we all know things go missing in the post.
    Never put them on and got fresh grills from Eric as I prefer the clean look but its all a personal thing so just do what you want.
    I do like spots tho and ran them on the Mexico when doing night forestry rallies. 15 degree outset on the lowers .... life savers

Name:  Image 7-08-18 at 5.05 PM.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  58.7 KB
    Mark

Historical Reference

It is always good to look at what has been done historically:
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

Will Eric be offering the roof light repro anytime soon?

To Kevin's query, here is a three light setup on a '68 with sugar scoops. The 128 fogs are the factory option, and the Hella 118s were installed by Porsche in Vienna, Austria before the car was a week old. The driving lights were well used and pretty rashed up over the years, and were masterfully restored by Michael Downing of this board a couple years ago. He describes them as rarer Italian style 118s, with the horizontal rectangular reflector. Period original with factory grills and wiring.
    -Richard
    1968 912 Sunroof, Irish Green (original owner)
    1985 911, Prussian Blue (sold)
    2010 Carrera 4S, Porsche Racing Green

My Euro 1970 targa with M432 driving lights. These come on with the high beams and shoot a focused beam of light far down the road, so they do not overlap at all with fog lights.

Last edited by Noah; 08-13-2018 at 08:03 AM.

My favorite look, this was a one owner 70E that was parked in 72, man I should have kept that one....

---Adam
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!
    Early 911S Registry Member 1372
    Check out Unobtanium-Inc.com
    New blog posts all the time!

Is it possible to be too rich, too thin or to have too many lights:

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin-Allocca View Post
    Thanks Serge! Was that photo taken at the Simeon Museum??
    Yup, it was...I'm in Philadelphia...go there a bunch of times.
    And I've used all my lights at nighttime when I lived in the burbs, the land of deer. I also used them in CA driving into parts unknown at night. I have a two stage switch...first are the smaller Cibie 40s, second are the Cibie hood lights.
    Serge

City of Ben Franklin and Cheesesteaks
    Instagram: Truevisionmediaworks

Early S Registry #2457
    Daisy: 1972 T with 2.7 engine and Webers
    LOOKING FOR 911 Engine # 6123044

Rowlf: 2017 Volvo S60 with Polestar Optimization

Mostro di Biscotti: 1975 Lancia Fulvia 1.3S Series 2

Veronica: 1987 Carrera coupe - curves in all the right places...SOLD
    Lil' Blue: 2002 Subaru WRX Wagon SOLD

Porsche is wondering "how many" also. I've seen this image floating around the interweb.
    John Thompson

1966 912. My first car. Bought it Nov. 25, 1988. Still have it.