Thread: WTT: Vintage 15x6/15x7 Minilites for 15x6.5s

WTT: Vintage 15x6/15x7 Minilites for 15x6.5s

Looking to trade a pair of vintage 15x6 Minilite wheels for a pair of vintage 15x6.5 Minilites.

If it's more interesting to someone, I have a pair of 15x7s that could be swapped for two more 15x6.5s. The 15x7s are true 15x7s and have a little more depth to the lips. Both versions look great, and are period correct for early 911 race cars—particularly the 15x6s for SWB cars.

I'm told these were sitting on shelves in their green protective paint for quite a while. I acquired them in a trade for some 914 parts, and I'd like to prep a second set of wheels for my 914. All four wheels weigh 14.4 pounds, according to my bathroom scale. Not sure if that makes them aluminum or magnesium. Was planning to send them Harvey's way for paint, but suspect that would be a better idea with two visually matched 15x6.5s and two 15x7s for my car...or four 15x6.5s if I choose not to roll my 914's rear fenders (been mulling this).

If interested, please PM me.

Thanks!

pete
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Pete, these are definitely magnesium wheels from the era. So essentially you have a set of staggered Minilites with a pair of 6"s up fronts & 7"s in the back, is that correct ?

Smile

from my experience owning quite a few sets of these, the 6.5" width you are looking for are more common on the aluminum version Minilite sport. I have yet to find a mag version in 6.5" although Im not saying they dont exist. Believe it or not but even the valve stems & lugs for these are getting increasingly harder to find. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by JBQuick View Post
    Hi Pete, these are definitely magnesium wheels from the era. So essentially you have a set of staggered Minilites with a pair of 6"s up fronts & 7"s in the back, is that correct ?
    Yep, staggered set with two 15x6s and two 15x7s. The 15x7s look like others that have been pictured here on this forum lately. My guess is the staggered set would look very cool on an early 911. Will be a longer-term project to get those 7s under the back of my narrow-body 914, so 15x6.5s are interesting to me as I know they'll fit.

Also open to full set trades on mismatched deep sixes or? I'd like to prep a set of wheels for a second set of tires.

Quote Originally Posted by JBQuick View Post
    from my experience owning quite a few sets of these, the 6.5" width you are looking for are more common on the aluminum version Minilite sport. I have yet to find a mag version in 6.5" although Im not saying they dont exist. Believe it or not but even the valve stems & lugs for these are getting increasingly harder to find. Just my opinion.
    Suspect you may be right. Early Minilites seem to be a world unto their own. And yes on the lugs. Someone is working on an interesting solution for the lugs...what's up with the valve stems? Can one use the metal ones Harvey installs in Fuchs these days?

The valve stem hole is deeper than your average wheel but Im sure its not a problem if you go to Harvey or Roger Kraus. I go to 5 Points Tire in Redwood City whos familiar with these period rims but they had to special order the valves.

PM sent George

can i ask what the back spacing is on the 6" and7" wheels
    thanks