Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Donations

Mike, that's it in a nutshell. If you wish to sell you need to be a paying member. It is a complete piss take to just post your goods on this forum and not contribute in any other way. It is obvious reading through the sales threads who are listing parts for sale nearly every other day. You can't sell on ebay for nothing.

Dave

This may not be the best place to bring it up, but since we're talking money for the Registry, here goes:

I've been a paying member for several years. I tried to renew a few months back, preferring to use Paypal. I seem to remember using it for prior renewals but this time it didn't work. The Paypal logo is on the renewal page (even today...I just checked), so I figured I'd ask the people who should know. After two emails to the contact person on the renewal page, and a PM to a site administrator, I never have received an answer.

Now, I understand that these sites are run by volunteers, very likely with full plates. We should all be grateful for what they do to keep things running. But, I would humbly suggest that the easiest money to collect is from the renewal, and any obstacles that prevent a painless renewal should be addressed quickly. I would also welcome an answer to my question: Can I still use Paypal?

We have all heard the old saying "you get more with honey than you do with vinegar" -- I would tend to agree on this one owning my own wholesale distribution business for the past thirty years where I could literally kick a customer and he will still come back because I have what he needs! Even though I can do it, I have found greater success by not doing it!

So, why do I bring it up? A couple of other enthusiast forums that I am a member of have found fund-raising success by kindly asking members to make some sort of small donation upon selling an item. I am sure that there are those who won't make the donation, but, I, for one, always get a charge out of seeing an item of mine sell whether it is on eBay, here, or elsewhere. At that moment of euphoria, I am probably most susceptible to a request for a small donation than at any other time and I think this must be true for others as well. When I sell something on this forum, it might be an item that goes for hundreds of dollars and I am fully aware that eBay would be getting tens of dollars for that. My five or ten dollar kick-in to the forum looks like a bargain at that moment.

Instead of being nasty and saying to people "no selling unless you pony up", just ask them to donate when they make a sale. You might be surprised. . .
    Jim

__________________________________________________ ___________
    Early S Registry #2359

1970 Porsche 911 Rally 2.4
    2018 Porsche Macan GTS

Lightbulb

Sorry for the delay sw...
    The club is temporarily going through a data base/renewal reorganization...

For now please go down to the bottom of any page to the blue 'footer' and click on 'Contact Us' for any of these questions...

Thanks,
    The ESR

I've been a paying member for several years. I tried to renew a few months back, preferring to use Paypal. I seem to remember using it for prior renewals but this time it didn't work. The Paypal logo is on the renewal page (even today...I just checked), so I figured I'd ask the people who should know. After two emails to the contact person on the renewal page, and a PM to a site administrator, I never have received an answer.

Now, I understand that these sites are run by volunteers, very likely with full plates. We should all be grateful for what they do to keep things running. But, I would humbly suggest that the easiest money to collect is from the renewal, and any obstacles that prevent a painless renewal should be addressed quickly. I would also welcome an answer to my question: Can I still use Paypal?
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Quote Originally Posted by uptheorg View Post
    Instead of being nasty and saying to people "no selling unless you pony up", just ask them to donate when they make a sale. You might be surprised. . .
    So are you saying make a general plea for a donation now and hope it happens when a sale is made or are you saying someone needs to keep track of the sold parts and create a PM to the seller to ask for a donation? My guess is the non-paying members who are selling multiple parts have no interest in making a donation after a sale.
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

I find this al rather sad.
    We have here one of the best forums globally pertaining to probably the most globally recognised sports cars and our members come from all corners of the globe.
    These are not cheap cars and the pittance for membership is more than reasonable,,,, Look what you get,,,, for free.
    Expert advice on any issue we have with our cars,, try asking a mechanic for some of the answers given here.
    Parts, Parties, Cars and some of the weirdest stuff pertaining to Porsche
    Humour,,, you bet
    So,,, Why should a non paying person (who may not even own a long hood) get all of this for free, and we all run the gauntlet of the "hackers" and those that only place "live feeds" to a sports match.
    Make em pay.
    Nothing is for free in this world anymore,,, other than what I see Paying members giving other members here on this forum.
    Mark

Some good inputs on this thread.

Thought some more about it, and despite valid points made about why not to add any sort of mandatory payment, a hybrid seems like a good fit here—and there's nothing nasty about the way John Dunkle did it (and Internet Brands still does it): Those who pay are noted under their handle as a "Member" and those who don't are listed as "User"...truth and a small prod. I don't see folks lord it over others much if ever...so that's kind of a non issue. I get a renewal reminder each year, so the board operator doesn't have to do anything manually, and they get certain permissions to certain forums (Off Topic, etc). They also have the ability to post for sale and wanted ads. I started as a member when I was at PCA, mostly as a feel-good/thank you for what RL does of the community, and have continued. I'd pay something here and at 914world as well, as those three are my usual haunts—so why not help guys like Chuck Miller and SirAndy, who do so much for the hobby and for all of us? And, while Rennlist ads aren't so useful to me, the ads here and on 914world are a wonderful service. Listers could pay, and buyers could choose to donate. Or not. But at least it doesn't create more work for Chuck or place hopes on an honor system (nice in theory, sadly not so great in practice).

In the end, this is really Chuck's call, and it doesn't sound exactly urgent, but what's the big deal over, say $15 or $25 per year for all of the above? You can still see and do everything on the forum (therefore not chasing everyone away, as a strict paywall does) but add a little incentive to contribute. In an ideal world, there would be two levels, one with and one without Esses. But, again, Chuck and/or John may have better eyes for what that would entail and mean, as they know those metrics.

How about a ten buck charge every time an OP bumps a sale ad?

Quote Originally Posted by swcarroll View Post
    How about a ten buck charge every time an OP bumps a sale ad?
    Brilliant

Name:  giphy.gif
Views: 157
Size:  490.8 KB
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Why not just make everybody pay that wants to post an item for sale and see what happens? I bet you get 50% of the non payers to pay up.
    Last edited by mfitton; 08-17-2018 at 06:42 PM.
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!