Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SWB Tabs in trunk area

SWB Tabs in trunk area

Can anyone tell me what the five sided tabs on the floor of the trunk behind the smuggler's box are for? I've seen cars with and without these tabs. Thanks.Name:  IMG_8384.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  105.0 KB

Perhaps to mount your year's version of this 1969 piece.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Banned
    Dave (earlyaircooled) was kind enough to share photos and dimensions starting in post #488 in the thread below.

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...65-cars/page49
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Thanks Frank. Any idea when they stopped installing the board? I’m assuming that they continued to keep the tabs through 1967

I don't think "they continued to keep the tabs through 1967." I have owned 3 1967's (911, 911S, & 912), and none of them had these tabs. I suggest they appeared after 1967.

I have the same question as to when they started. In Frank's reference to the above thread, the images there seem to be concerning '65 cars if I read it correctly. In working on my "swiss cheese" '67 Targa, the trunk floor was so rotted that it could not be repaired. Had to cut one from a confirmed '67 912. To my recollection the Targa did not have the tabs but the 912 clearly has them. Same exact part. Not present on my '68 912 coupe. Perhaps the difference between Karman or Porsche? Or in the alternative Heinz was just using the left over parts from '66 until they ran out? Can't find the cardboard partition in the PET until '69. Calling Franz, Frank, Jim B, Ed Mayo, other experts. Any consensus? Also possible that the Targa orignally had them but they got lost to rust issue. No dis intended as to Jim Morris response.

I have the tabs too: http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...l=1#post984482

This might be a better picture:
    Name:  D2516147-9B7C-4DE1-BE4D-9F66443DFA83.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  90.8 KB
    Last edited by Adore911; 08-17-2018 at 03:22 PM.

My 68T Karmann 911 doesn’t have them.
    1968 911T R.O.W. / 68S engine.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm01 View Post
    My 68T Karmann 911 doesn’t have them.
    Of course it doesn’t have them. Stopped in early to mid 66?

Beg to differ Frank. The original trunk floor I cut out was definitely in a 67 912. So tabs went into '67 but were they just leftovers? Unfortunately don't know the date of the '67 build.