Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SWB Tabs in trunk area

Banned
    Ok, I recant.
    Let’s try to narrow this down. Here’s a 67 data point:
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Good idea. Secondary to this question is whether the existence of the tabs means the existence of the cardboard barrier. Anybody with a '67 and the partition? The shell I got the sheet metal from was bereft of everything.
    Last edited by doigthom; 08-18-2018 at 09:34 AM.

And third. Is there any source for these cardboard parts?

And yes, maybe it did depend on whether the car was Porsche or Karmann. It is demonstrated above that a 67 912 has the tabs, and I can demonstrate that my 67 912 (and my other 67 cars, 911) did not have the tabs. Is this difference based on whether the car is Porsche or Karmann? My 912 is Karmann. On the other hand, my 67S Targa did not have the tabs, and we know this is definitely a Porsche car given that Karmann did not build any of these Targas. I have never seen a 1967 car, either mine or anyone else's that had the cardboard bulkhead. The example F. Beck shows is a 911S, definitely Porsche built. So let's test this hypothesis: The tabs appeared as early as 1967 on Porsche built cars, but not on 1967 Karmann cars (which would be only 912s). But then why did not ALL 67 Porsche built cars have the tabs?

Banned
    I believe I’m somewhat redeemed with my flippant remark. My 305742 Light Ivory coupe was built in Aug 1966; going out on a limb again but wouldn’t be surprised if we discover this was a holdover from 66 MY and most 67’s did not have them.

BTW: it’s not an S. Wish it was.

Jim Found some notes about the '67 912 that we cut the trunk floor from. VIN was 459704 and therefore a Karman coupe and it did have the tabs. The 911S we welded it into had no tabs (unless completely rusted off) and was produced on 3/13/67. But see this ad as advertised in the for sale section. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911...97.m4902.l9144. That seller is smarter than us or a lot dumber.
    Last edited by doigthom; 08-19-2018 at 06:47 AM.

Mine, with tabs, is an S. Built Aug 1966 and delivered 8 Sept 1966. (30545.S)

Mine, with NO tabs, is an S. Built Aug 1967 (500418). I withdraw now from this discussion, still with no idea of a resolution about the "tabs." But it was fun.

I withdraw also but will be knocking the tabs off my transplanted trunk floor. Pretty likely that this was a carryover from 1966.

The car I'm working on is a June of 67 build. It had a lot of the widgets in the front trunk cut out of it at one time so I'm trying to correct that. I'm assuming that the car does not have the tabs as it appears they were stopped sometime in early 67. A friend of mine has a 67 that is close in serial number. He's going to have a look at his car when he returns home. Thanks for all the input guys.