Thread: PCA/Los Angeles Concours - September 23, 2018

PCA/Los Angeles Concours - judging advice needed

I've entered my restored 1967 911S in the upcoming PCA/Los Angeles Concours at the Petersen Museum this coming Sunday. I've honestly never done a concours before - only as a spectator - but thought since this one was so convenient "why not?"

Besides the car what do I need to bring that the judges might want to see? Tool kit and books/manuals seem like obvious ones. Anything else/advice from people in the know?
    Last edited by TheBen; 09-18-2018 at 04:59 PM.

Another Thread . . .

. . . .

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...tember-23-2018

. . . even has a link!

Attached Images Attached Images  

We Can Be Heroes

Yes I know. I was asking for judging advice...

Quote Originally Posted by TheBen View Post
    Yes I know. I was asking for judging advice...
    Caveat: I am NOT a PCA Concours Judge nor never have been trained as a PCA Concours Judge.

In my humble opinion, based on observation of several PCA Zone 8 Concours, primarily the SDR-PCA Concours, though I've attended PCA-LAR Concours (all Zone 8):

I found the judging is more on the level of measuring detailing (cleanliness) rather than accuracy of a particular model. I don't know if that is a PCA-SDR judging style, a Zone 8 judging style, or what. It may not be consistent from one region or zone to another. If you study the Parade Rules; https://www.pca.org/resource/2018-pa...petition-rules; you'll find they do measure accuracy of the restoration to a specific model year. It does not seem apparent that those rules are followed down to the zone or region level.

Which I find ironic, since it would be a great venue to teach owners about the fine details about their particular model year's characteristics.

IMHO, don't expect judging on the accuracy of your restoration, more on did you polish the inside of your hubcaps.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.
    Doug Dill

1973 911E Coupe
    PCA #1987109761
    Early 911S Registry #548

Ben -

You can clean your car to death, and be sure that a judge or two will find "dirt", minus 1/10! As for authenticity and correctness, most judges wouldn't know it if it drove over them, IMHO.

- Rob

They did find some dirt BUT I ended up winning my class and division! Big thanks to everyone who worked on my car over the years to get to this stage including John Esposito, Marco Gerace, and George Baloian.

Name:  IMG_0777.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  90.5 KB

Congrats! Let's see some pics of your car at the Concours...
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100