Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Price check

Quote Originally Posted by Simonjjb View Post
    Fully agree Michael. Some of us, perhaps many, just enjoy the hobby and are just fine if it takes a while to restore. In many respects, turning a profit isn’t even in the equation.
    I get this kind of question a lot, "Why buy a project when you can just buy a restored car."

There are a variety of reasons.
    1. For many it is the journey, not the destination. I've bought many car a from a guy who spent years restoring it and within a year sells it to me, why? Because he is itching to start another restoration, not drive to another cars and coffee or take it to the store only to have packs of idiots ask "How much?"
    2. Not everyone has large money to buy a finished car. I've know tons of Porsche guys who have good income but with kids in school, house payments, etc, they don't have $100,000 laying around, but they do have $30,000 and a nice enough income to spread out a restoration over 3-5 years, doing some work themselves and farming out the rest.
    3. There is also the high end buyer who would rather buy a basket case complete matching car, rather than a shiny restored one. Why? Because they want to know the car was done right, so they will buy a car knowing they will have to drop $100,000-200,000 into it, but with piece of mind at the end. I sold a twin grill S90 Roadster last year like this, one of 84 ever built. The buyer flew over from Austria and bought it, it took one phone call to sell that car. You can see it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j2h290tCIQ&t=3s

So people love to say only a fool would buy a project Porsche, but coming from a guy who sells mostly projects, my buyers are rarely fools, they know exactly what they want and while their reasons for buying a project may differ, they all usually know exactly what they are doing.

---Adam
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Unobtanium-inc; 08-22-2018 at 09:03 PM.
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!
    Early 911S Registry Member 1372
    Check out Unobtanium-Inc.com
    New blog posts all the time!

Banned
    Trying to get educated here...

It seems to me that the creative folks at BaT butter up every car to some degree with their description. Will they allow sellers to compose their own ad? How important is the video? (Most are BORING!) Do they let you interject humor?
    Not impressed with the car or presentation below. How does this one rate on a scale from 1-10? Thanks.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1970-porsche-911e-3/

Having read a fair number of BAT ads they appear rather generic but obviously based on information that is provided by the seller. I would be surprised if you were not (as the seller) able to proof read the advert prior to it going on line.
    What I feel is that in order to minimalize the known armchair critics who troll BAT, the greater the info and photos (especially the underside) and a video seems to reduce the number of idiotic questions.
    Parts used in the engine rebuild etc should be included in a the photos
    Mike should be able to chirp up in regards to the involvement of the wording of the advert???
    The Green MY72 ,, it is a "salvage" car with a "clear" BC title,, how does that work or sit with possible buyers?? I dont know but I wouldnt purchase it knowing that info so to me its 2.5-- 3.5 car that will be interesting to see what it sells for.
    M2CW
    Mark

Banned
    Thanks Mark.
    I know the car is kind of a turd ball. That aside, how would you rate the presentation? Description, video, photos?

The "blurb' is pretty good describes the car well I think.
    The seller is being transparent (possible overly) but his photos are poor (compared to the ones you have already taken of yours)
    The video is crap, and the car is already at 120degrees on start up,,, ( quick 20 second cold start up video would be good)
    Driving video is a must,, these engines come on song at the Hi Rev end so ring the puppy out for all to hear and see. ( try and not show the speedo haha or the law may come a knockin,,
    Spoke to Brett, He is really wanting a RHD ( ie wife does not want to ride in the suicide seat boohoo)
    Mark

I recon what you need to do is a photographic PPI from front to back inside and out,,, its not like you have anything to hide on that car of yours
    Mark

Banned
    Do No Reserve cars seem to command greater interest or promote bidding on BaT?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    I think so. But, you could always pull the reserve at the very end to drum up some bids.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    Only the seller knows if a car has a reserve it is not disclosed until the end of the auction if it is not met. Frank you are able to proof read the description and make desired changes before the car is listed, you could even run the rough draft by some other knowledgeable people who might see things you don't . My 914-6 just made reserve when it sold for $82K and since it was reached no one knew it had a reserve.
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mfitton View Post
    Only the seller knows if a car has a reserve it is not disclosed until the end of the auction if it is not met. Frank you are able to proof read the description and make desired changes before the car is listed, you could even run the rough draft by some other knowledgeable people who might see things you don't . My 914-6 just made reserve when it sold for $82K and since it was reached no one knew it had a reserve.
    Thanks Mike. That makes much more sense.

And thanks for the offer of proofing. My beef with their descriptions is that they're fairly boring; no humor at all.