Thread: SWB: inside cabin undercoating details

SWB: inside cabin undercoating details

We are getting very close to undercoat my car and are trying to clear up some final details.

It appears that the whole rear seat area was undercoated and subsequently painted over with exterior color. As the previous owner stripped the floor on my car I am trying to clarify if the floor was also undercoated similar to the 356's or not?

Many thanks for any pointers,

JK

Anybody? this must be a detail others have noticed while restoring their cars

I've just been through this and undersealed interior this week. From investigating bits I cut out and reviewing the other thread with the video and factory photos my conclusions:

All underseal was sprayed first on bare metal. (I have epoxy prime first)

Then primer and body color sprayed on all surfaces not covered by underseal - strange places like the footwells. I have samples from areas all over the car to confirm this. Overspray everywhere particularly parcel shelf.

Then finally black applied where they needed to cover overspray - this must have been a combination of sprayed and brushed. Dash and tunnel sprayed - possibly trunk sprayed as black is in some hard to reach spots but there are lots of runs so maybe brushed. Inside of fenders in the door hinge area black!

To answer the question floors rear seats and parcel tray underseal right back to the rear window. light to none around pedals and relay area. Splatter on the underside of trunk floor. Not 100% sure if the rear heel panel was covered but why would they not?

So far as underside goes in my case I will underseal after color - not as factory and there will be a little overspray missing on the bottom I'm sure but it will be much prettier (not hard to spray a bit of color round later if one wants.

Also of note the black strip on the bottom of rockers is not sprayed underseal - seems to be brushed thinned down seam sealer.

Here is the picture of mine just before black spray out of tunnel and dash.
    Name:  IMG-20180903-WA0001.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  66.9 KB
    Membership #3255
    revivem.co.nz

Hi Ivan,

Thanks for pitching in. What you write mirrors my observation. The whole rear are was undercoated with a thin layer and subsequently painter over with body color.

On the floor, do you have an idea to what point on the floor they undercoated? So was there a clear line x inches from the pedal where they stopped? My observation of this area is that it also had quite some primer underneath the black paint. On the heel panel, that would indeed make sense, they probably masked the areas where the seat belts and luggage loops would mount. Anybody out there have an opinion on this?

The rocker detail is an interesting one. There seems to be a pretty clear break to where they applied the undercoating, on the original cars I have looked at this as the vertical flange of the floor pan. The black was indeed brushed on after paint and was not black paint. I am still trying to figure this one out. On my car when I removed it with the heat gun it had a tarry consistency and smell when hot. Appeared to be indeed different from the undercoat

Below the rear area of my car when I bought it

Name:  DSC_0293.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  138.7 KB.

Any other pictures or observations?

Got it done this weekend. Chassis color to follow

Name:  IMG_20180915_142712.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  114.9 KB