Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tool kits

Tool kits

Hallo,
    the restoration of my 65/66 911 is nearly finished, but I still need tools for the toolkit. The prices especially of the Klein screwdrivers are incredible high, especially after an expensive restoration. Has someone experience with the Repro Klein screwdrivers from Sierramadre Collection? I think some other parts for the toolkit from Eric Linden are probably very nice. Does anyone have experience and advice?

Have a nice weekend!

Anke
    356 A 58 silver
    302485 light ivory
    500248 Softwindow light ivory
    500441 Softwindow S light ivory
    2.2 S Targa geminiblue
    2.4 T Targa black
    2.4 S Targa vipergreen
    2.7 RSR tribute green (original 2.4 E 1972)

Macan GTS black
    Boxter S black
    997 Turbo Cabriolet black

BMW R 17
    BMW R 69S black with Steib 500

Everything done by Eric Linden is perfectly excecuted, best repros in the world.
    I also bought from Sierra Madre, nothing wrong with it I recall.
    Registry member No.773

+1 regarding Eric’s work...

Quote Originally Posted by 911T1971 View Post
    Everything done by Eric Linden is perfectly excecuted, best repros in the world.
    I also bought from Sierra Madre, nothing wrong with it I recall.
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

Anke, NO disrespect here, however, with the expense in restoring a 65/66 (or any early P-car or otherwise) I don’t understand your concern over the costs of original tools? You have quite a nice collection in your signature, so for what original Klein’s cost, or any other correct tools for that matter, help me understand. I know a member here (Steve Unterman) just sold a nice set of Klein’s in the 600 range. I hope you find what you’re looking for and it meets your obvious high standards. Additionally, Eric’s work is the pinnacle.

Hallo nvr2mny,
    many members of this association have the goal to preserve the originality of their vehicles. Nowhere is there so much pooled expertise except in Stuttgart. It is also completely understandable that it gets more and more difficult to get certain parts (even if a Porsche 911 is not really a rare car compared to Ferraries or Lamborghinis)
    and above all, it will be more difficult to find good craftsmen to professionally restore the vehicles. That one should not have this done by a cheap technician at the gas station next door, is clear to me. But it does not mean that you have to go with every overdrawn price. And if there are 2 simple screwdrivers offered here for $ 700 and there were replicas for $ 200 that are made in good quality, I would prefer the replicas, because the last two years have shown that prices go down and everyone could see that even rare cars are offered since January without success. Speculation with mistaken pricing will fail, because the youth is no longer interested. How old is this average member of the early registry? Do those responsible in the early registry have data on how the age of membersship has developed in the last 10 years? I would bet the average age goes up a lot and in 20 years the number of members and potential buyers will be significantly reduced . A separate section for deceased members of the early911segistry would certainly be used frequently in 20 years
    The nice thing about the early911sregistry is that not only speculators can be seen here, but fans of old sports cars, who also offer parts at realistic prices. Many of them like to drive their cars and not only place their cars for a day on a concour showcase.
    In my opinion, the tool kit is not an essential part of the vehicle, but an accessory that is certainly nice to have for concour juncies. It would be great if Eric Linden included the screwdrivers in his program, then we would not have to discuss it any more. If I had an original part, I would like to scan it in our dental laboratory and try to reproduce it myself.
    Wish you a nice weekend.

Anke
    356 A 58 silver
    302485 light ivory
    2.2 S Targa geminiblue
    2.4 T Targa black
    2.4 S Targa vipergreen

Macan GTS black
    Boxter S black

BMW R 17

Interesting discussion here. The screw drivers at Sierra Madre are nice but I have not had the occasion to compare them to the real stuff. I paid slightly less but now they are $334 combined. Steve's thread showed he wanted $700.00 as his asking. Subtracting the two yields $366.00. For that amount I bough Carl Bauer's oil filter, his Pudenz fuse pack and the appropriate lackstift (all at the same quality level as Eric). In addition I purchased Eric's Klein plug wrench. Total was $374.00. I have also purchased Carl's glycerin bottle and Eric's pliers, deco moldings, his grommets, rubber switch covers, "S" armrest end caps and his engine insulation pad. Only the cognoscenti might be able to tell the difference. Had I been able to find original the cost would have been double or triple.

Am using combination or Restoration Design and used sheet metal for restoration of body. Something that would be impossible without reproductions. So the question is does somebody want to start a list of what reproductions are an acceptable use and what must be original. How many engines still have their original spark plugs. And from what I can tell Porsche sells the Dansk reproductions as original Porsche. See the thread here about the poor member trying to fit the "Porsche original" fenders

As an aside I have been able to purchase 3 original Osram bulb boxes and 3 Osram 7951 European Bilux bulb boxes. None of which seem to fit in the original travel kit. However, the bulb boxes are listed in the PET. Thus Porsche was all over the place itself. They now sell some crappy metal boxes which have no tie to reality. Just like the hounds tooth tool rolls. They got be kidding. Also just purchased a reproduction 356 travel kit which I am updating for use in my 912 coupe. Nice piece. Awaiting my new fan belts. Passing both of my 912's on to my daughters along with my collection of Excellence and Classic Porsche. I suspect the may ultimately sell them and at that point who will be able to distinguish my Carl Bauer glycerin bottle from the real thing? Incidentally I am wiling to part with the three 7951 Bilux bulb boxes at $45.00 each including shipping and PayPal. Send me an email for pictures
    Last edited by doigthom; 09-09-2018 at 10:57 AM.

"If I had an original part, I would like to scan it in our dental laboratory and try to reproduce it myself."

A surgeon friend had a light lens for a rare Italian old car made at a dental lab as part nla. Better than no lens as a stop gap I suppose but truly awful, even viewed from some distance.

I believe both Anke and her husband are oral surgeons and probably have access to the latest scanning equipment. Can probably produce the equivalent of a pretty detailed CAD drawing. Would guess they could find some very good machine shops in Germany. Also suspect the could probably buy and sell a goodly portion of us on here. I think she was asking for advice on current repops and comes off being called a cheapskate. I don't know if her offer was off the cuff or genuine, but the question is "how good the Sierra Madre repops are?". This is from the crowd who goes "oh" and "ah" over hot rod restorations. At least Eric's work was affirmed.

Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

Name:  kleinscrewdriver1.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  41.7 KBName:  kleinscrewdriver2.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  38.3 KBName:  kleincrewdriver3.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  33.2 KBName:  kleinscrewdriver4.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  32.1 KB;
    Please experts, are these screwdrivers original for 65/66?

Kind regards.

Anke
    356 A 58 silver
    302485 light ivory
    2.2 S Targa geminiblue
    2.4 T Targa black
    2.4 S Targa vipergreen

Macan GTS black
    Boxter S black

BMW R 17