Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Misfire every 5 seconds

Misfire every 5 seconds

I have a very strange misfire - it happens exactly every 5 seconds. I posted a YouTube - search for "Bob's 911 Misfire".

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? I have gone through a lot of testing of ignition and some fuel system items already -

Thanks for the help.
    73 911S Targa

Guessing you've already done a casual test with carb cleaner, at a few locations to try to rule out vacuum issues.

Quote Originally Posted by 62S-R-S View Post
    Guessing you've already done a casual test with carb cleaner, at a few locations to try to rule out vacuum issues.
    Have not, but will try that - thanks
    73 911S Targa

Bob -

Seems like a rich/lean mixture surge. Does it do it cold and hot?

- Rob in boulder

Banned
    What's your CO at? Idle and high speed?

There's a reason the factory manual has that procedure in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert5995 View Post
    Bob -

Seems like a rich/lean mixture surge. Does it do it cold and hot?

- Rob in boulder
    Runs worse cold - when warmed up it it starts the strange "every 5 seconds" misfire (rpm drop)
    73 911S Targa

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    What's your CO at? Idle and high speed?

There's a reason the factory manual has that procedure in there.
    great idea - just need a CO meter! will see if I can run this test

thanks
    73 911S Targa

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Boulder Bob View Post
    Runs worse cold - when warmed up it it starts the strange "every 5 seconds" misfire (rpm drop)
    Sounds WAY too lean.
    At least for now check dwell and timing.

I love these posts...

"Doc, please tell me why I'm coughing. Here's a 5 second video showing me coughing."

"Misfire?" Sharp "hiccup" in smoothness of firing or short duration drop in RPM regardless of throttle position?

Give us some history to work with, we can assume it didn't do this when new, so how long have you owned it, has it always done this since your ownership?, was there anything done just before this all started? did it just start suddenly one day? has anyone touched anything on the engine and then this symptom started right afterwards? Mechanic's rule of thumb, go to the last thing that was touched before problem occurred.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.