Thread: SWB chassis and interior black out authenticity

SWB chassis and interior black out authenticity

Not sure if others have looked into this in detail.

We are getting close to applying black paint over the undercoating and doing the dash, under dash, tunnel etc. It would make sense that the factory would use the same black paint for all areas. From studying my car before stripping it appeared that the black used for the undercoating had more sheen compared to that used for the dash. The weird thing that it appeared that the under dash paint had some more sheen than the black around the gauges. This makes no sense to me but I am curious what other people have seen.

With regard to what paint to use. I have heard people advocating PPG DP90 epoxy primer as a perfect match for the dash black out. We have been playing around with Glasurit Rallye black with various levels of flattner.

Thanks for your input,

JK

Quote Originally Posted by 718RSK View Post
    Not sure if others have looked into this in detail.

We are getting close to applying black paint over the undercoating and doing the dash, under dash, tunnel etc. It would make sense that the factory would use the same black paint for all areas. From studying my car before stripping it appeared that the black used for the undercoating had more sheen compared to that used for the dash. The weird thing that it appeared that the under dash paint had some more sheen than the black around the gauges. This makes no sense to me but I am curious what other people have seen.

With regard to what paint to use. I have heard people advocating PPG DP90 epoxy primer as a perfect match for the dash black out. We have been playing around with Glasurit Rallye black with various levels of flattner.

Thanks for your input,

JK
    i`m also using glasurit rally black for dash tunnel etc...

Thanks, having a lot of experience with these cars, what is your feeling about the gloss for the undercoating being different from that on the inside of the car? Do you use the rallye black straight or flatten it down?

Thanks,
    J.

Thanks, having a lot of experience with these cars, what is your feeling about the gloss for the undercoating being different from that on the inside of the car? Do you use the rallye black straight or flatten it down?

Thanks,
    J.
    i could imagine that they used cheaper black for the undercoating....

i donīt flatten it...i find it just perfect as it comes out of the pot.one can play a bit with faster hardener , thinner and applied layers, but the gloss level does not change to much.

Hi Franz,

That would make sense. I will give it a shot and report back here when done. We still have the primer color to solve before we can start. Want to make sure I get the overspray details right. Probably going a bit overboard as this will be my wife's summer driver but I like things to be authentic.

J.

,,, Probably going a bit overboard....but I like things to be authentic.
    i know what you are talking about.

this is from a 1970 i did .

had to go to bare metal and also wanted to do the paint all original.
    first layer was grey 7035 then they for what ever reason sprayed white followed by original irish green.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks to Franz I was able to fill in the remaining blanks. We shot the exterior color and black-out today

Thanks to Franz I was able to fill in the remaining blanks. We shot the exterior color and black-out today
    Looks great! I’ll get a spider gear to you when I get home Monday or Tuesday

Thanks Jim. Trans is almost ready. Got the correct thickness intermediate plate gaskets on Friday and will install tomorrow.