Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Front windshield seal

Front windshield seal

Just installed my front windshield I came up with corner gaps. How do I repair this? Will I need to redo meaning take the windshield off? Could it be the seal itself?
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    S Registry #1280
    1970 911T
    1968 911 FWT
    1965 356 SC

no need to take it out again
    use this as an inlay

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Butylschnur-...-/323049132203

did you use any sealing material?
    what happened to the dash?

If what Franz (Moito) suggests works, that will be best, but from what I see on both sides I am doubtful that a filler strip will do the job. It will only raise the rubber, not stretch it outward to lap the corners. So, yes, it could be the seal. Did you use Porsche (you should) or an after market? Here is how the professionals are sometimes able to solve this problem. Make a jig out of wood that is curved matching the inner arch of the aluminum trim strips at the top corners. This piece should be long enough so that you can hit the opposite end with a mallet, driving outward/upward the aluminum which takes the stretched gasket with it. Needless to say go slowly and be careful you don't hit the windshield. I have done this many times even to finesse gaskets that fit pretty well (but not perfectly) when first installed. There are of course, limits to the amount these four corners can be moved this way, but that is one of the reasons the connecting pieces at the top and bottom are as long as they are.

Is that the windshield that in there previously, or a replacement. And Jim is correct for the fix, it is also covered in the shop manual.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Not that it helps you now that it is fitted, but time spent working the chrome to match the window aperture prior to installation helps to get a premium fit.

This was not the original window, original cracked during disassembly by yours truly. I used plenty of soapy water during install. Not sure if seal was oem or after market. I know that glass was purchased through Stoddard, seals might have come through Stoddard, international mercantile or sunset porsche.

Should take it apart, and start over?

Dash is not fully installed.
    S Registry #1280
    1970 911T
    1968 911 FWT
    1965 356 SC

Is it a stretching issue?
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

If it is the Stoddard Sigla brand glass we have used several of them , and they fit correctly. Many cheap off brand ones don't. Before you take it out I'd suggest trying to reshape the trim as Jim and the shop manual show.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

FWIW, I had the original windshield/trim re-installed by a pro, but used a new aftermarket seal. Everyone here said it wouldn't work. It didn't.
    I purchased a new OEM seal from dealer, glass company gave me huge discount to re-install. Result-perfect.
    Brian
    S Reg #1032

"I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"

Ed,

Which shop manual are you referring to?
    S Registry #1280
    1970 911T
    1968 911 FWT
    1965 356 SC