Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Original paint orange peel

sense pot has become so universally excepted we need to keep our judgements open.

Bump, any additional observations out there?

Another way to control orange peel … Sanding blocks, Wether aluminum or wood, usually have a rubber/neoprene pad. The thickness and density of this padding makes a difference. Example.... Remove all padding for the flattest finish.

Thanks for the pointers. My painter and I discussed it today and we have settled pretty much for a straight gun finish which has some very slight orange peel. I feel this is probably pretty close to the factory finish but am happy to be corrected

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    Well, I think u end up with a tougher paint finish if u don't color sand etc.

I love orange peel. Even a slight sag or drip can duplicate some factory paint I have studied, on 356, 911 and 914. Both Karmann and Reutter. And bits of trash on hinge posts, door jams and slam panels.
    Last edited by sanders; 10-20-2018 at 03:00 PM.

We, collaborative decision with the shop, left the orange peel on a recent restoration of my '67S. It was only denibbed. Body shop lingo. I'm not sure how much the orange peel was knocked down, but it was clearly visible. We even pointed it out to the judges as a point of originality. We took it to the Parade and got a Gmund level result. I think old Porsches should have orange peel because I don't think they did glass finish color sanding and polish. I've seen a lot of first paint Porsches since my first in 1964 and OP always seemed to be there to some degree.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

Thanks for your reply Steve. I agree, original cars had orange peel so that is why we are leaving some in also. We have contemplated using an old style gun also. But sometimes I have to keep reminding myself that this will be my wifes summer driver.

Aside from leaving orange peel which they all had when new you way also want to use a single stage product if a non metalic color. Also as one noted if you see grind marks on an original paint car it is likely there has been some shrinking over time. Porsche used a lot of primer then wet blocked them before paint. There are lots of original paint cars left from the 1980's. That is the level of peel I shoot for on my cars. Just my take.

Whilst I'd agree not every single car was perfect there seems to be plenty of quality control and colour sanding going on here....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leis5zazeXY