Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BaT Case Study

Here's the verbiage you get:

In addition, please review our Successful Transaction Tips below to assist in finalizing the transaction.

Make contact with the buyer ASAP.
    Always try to remain calm, friendly, and polite. The #1 reason we see car deals fall apart is not the car; it is disrespect or bad attitudes from the buyer or seller.
    Provide a factual Bill of Sale when taking payment.
    Provide a photocopy of the title if requested to justify payment.
    Do not release the car or the actual title until you have full payment in hand.
    We suggest Wire Transfers for payments.
    We hope to hear a BaT Success Story from you in the coming days and weeks! Thanks again for listing your vehicle with BaT Auctions!

The Bring a Trailer Team

I didn't get an indication of timeline for payment though...
    Greg.
    ----------
    72 911T - 73 2002

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott72 View Post
    The one thing I did notice with BAT is that the 67-73 911S don't seem to do as well. I searched their archives and the only 911S's that sold were in the 90-110K range. None of the nicer ones (like the one Frank had up) made reserve. I will give you that the sample size of the 911S is much smaller than the Hotrods or the 911T's, but seems like a trend to me. I still not discounting the exposure these nicer 911's are getting, just seems for really nice stock 911's, BAT doesn't seem to bring out the buyers.
    After the vanilla performance of the 73S Targa I might agree. (Final bid including the 5k that BaT would have pocketed is not that far off from what it will take. Have 3 serious dudes on it.)

Frank with his 73 CIS T and my 70T have certainly confirmed something: Much like the 356 market where engine hp/model doesn’t cause a monumental price disparity, really nice T’s are closing the gap in relation to S cars. Baby steps perhaps but none the less you can’t ignore the data points.

The buyer of my T is in the Porsche biz and knew he couldn’t build the car for what he paid for it.

I think BaT has a really good format for selling a car and worldwide exposure. And to think it started as an "FYI" site for enthusiasts to share for sale "finds." Brilliant... I sold a less than 14,000 mile 1948 CJ-2A Willys Jeep on BaT last summer. I listed it at no reserve and honestly thought we would get twice our final price. But that is the risk you take with no reserve, however, I had way more exposure than an enthusiast site. And it went to a great new owner who loves it. Thinking about listing a 55 Austin-Healey 100 aluminum bodied hotrod. Might do really well there versus an enthusiast site.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

In my experience the reserve has not hurt... they don't charge more for it so why not use it. They negociate a little with you prior to listing it, to make sure it's not unresaonable. I said no, they still took the car. I set mine as the bare bare minimum but the sale exceeded it by 20% and I was ther eto comment reserve was off... Why risk it ?
    Greg.
    ----------
    72 911T - 73 2002

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg D. View Post
    In my experience the reserve has not hurt... they don't charge more for it so why not use it? ... Why risk it?
    Because some of us played with fire as little boys and haven’t grown up?

What's the scoop on the cars that get the larger pictures on their site? Does the seller pay extra for that or is that an 'editorial' decision?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    The buyer of my T is in the Porsche biz and knew he couldn’t build the car for what he paid for it.
    FACT: You cannot restore a car more cheaply than buying a good "finished" car.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    We're trying to sell our RSR style car on BAT. Will report. Gordon

the Albert Blue 70 911S that was on BAT a couple weeks ago sold for $175,000. but I think that was after the auction was over. Chris
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

Must have been after the auction - had reserve not met at 158K.
    69 911S #1379
    65 356 SC #130757