Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: RENNSPORT VI through JZG's lens............my last Hurrah.

So good to see you on Friday John, especially in such vigorous good health and mental outlook! Looking forward to your take on the event, which was unique in its own way and different from the others I’ve attended. It was special to be able to visit with Mezger, Schaffer, Kristen, Springer, and Singer, who aren’t getting any younger (like all of us). Also to meet many of the new generation, who will hopefully learn something about the humble core values held by those of you who lived through the experience of 20th Century Europe.

— David

I've spent all the time and then some on this project and it's high time to post the photos I've promised. This will not be on the scale and detail of some of my past 'epistles', rather, it will be posted in the spirit of allowing those who were not able to attend for one reason or another to get an overview of what transpired, and to hopefully start making plans NOW never to miss another RENNSPORT event.

RENNSPORT Reunion VI - Sept. 27 - 30
    In my view, location and choice of the track for an event like RENNSPORT is absolutely crucuial to success., and I can't for the life of me think of a more perfect venue than Laguna Seca. The track itself, and particularly the compact size of the facility, allowing one to walk anywhere they wish to be within the entire facility within a few minutes, the incredible & predictably benign weather, the accommodations, restaurants, amenities and attractions for others with perhaps less fanatical interest in cars than most of us, airports, etc. are world class and contribute immeasuably to the pleasure of any event connected with the region and Laguna Seca Raceway.

Starting this photo essay with some randiom shot of my first day at the track, Wednesday,................one day before the actual, official beginning of RENNSPORT, but essential to getting into the right frame of ming, seeing who & what's there and getting the lay of the land, as it were. Attendance was free, all you had to do is tell them you were headed to the souvenir stand to buy official gear & mementoes and you were waved in. Can't quite describe the feeling of joy and serenity that sweeps over you as you wander the deserted paddock just before sunrise, hot cappuccino in hand, anticipating the lifting of the fog, the warming of the sun and the inevitable concussion of internal combustion & speed that follows.

For me, the first hour or so usually sets the tone for the entire weekend, and I sincerely hope some of the attached images allow you to share in the feeling of well-being, satisfaction, excitement and anticipation to the next Reunion.............whenever it takes place.

Enjoy, and thanks for looking,

JZG
    Attached Images Attached Images           
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 10-22-2018 at 03:49 AM.
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

..........continuing with my early morning reverie, some more from the day before the actual opening of RENNSPORT.

Photo #6, Jeff Zwart, who confessed with a twinkle in his eye that this time around, no filming, no videos, just driving and enjoying himself.......................and his new book on the first five renditions of RENNSPORT Reunions.

Photos #4 & 9, various Porsche corrals - before the hordes arrive.

Photo #10, you just can't stop or avoid the legal crap these days............how sad, does the world really need this stuff ?

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."

For the first time, areas in the paddock were set aside as "privileged" parking for clubs and certain models for Porsches - such as the centrally located covered area reserved exclusively for 959s. It was fascinating to see a lone 959 on Wedneday, with more arriving every day. and ending with 17 of them under one roof by event's end, including a sensational looking 959 CS in Blutorange.

Note: One of the elements I'm taking the liberty of changing this time around is that if I don't have sufficient images on one theme / subject, I won't be taking the time to try to arrange blocks of images in neat packettes of 10 shot per post, the maximum allowed on this forum. If I can't fill a post with ten worthy images, I will post whatever I have and move on.
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 10-22-2018 at 03:51 AM.

Moving on to the vendor's area................shown are some displays very early in early morning, since trying to make your way through the crowds in the middle of the day was damned near impossible, and with cars on-track and a myriad of other things to see & do, I hope you can understand why I chose to give short shrift to looking at merchandise.
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 10-22-2018 at 03:55 AM.

Entering the track on Thursday AM, the first day the event was officially open....................and the fog was gone by 8:00 AM - God does have a sense of humor.

Photo #4, if you'll look closely there's a 918 idling in traffic along with the rest of us...............parking and traffic management left a bit to be desired - surprising in view of how long SCRAMP has been doing this.

Photo #10 - Tech inspection - before anyone can run on this track, you must have a sticker.

Continuing with various random shots taken once the event officially opened on Thursday morning.
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 10-16-2018 at 05:40 AM.

Enough of the atmospheric foreplay, let's get on with the real resaon most of us attended RR VI, and what I suspect most want to see .................the cars, starting with a random selection of various Porsches entered by enthusiasts. Most are race cars, but there was a generous smattering of the latest Porsches as well as classics that appeared to be the means by which many of the entrants got to the event.

I can't resist taking random shots of well-done, interesting and frequently innovative details on some cars in the paddock, in fact, I submit that one of the major draws to attend the event is the ability to see, absorb and to some degree participate in the entire spectrum of the PORSCHE universe, the cars, the engineering, the history, the sounds and sights, the people, and all concentrated in one wonderful and remarkable location. My sincere thanks to PORSCHE and everyone who works behind the scenes to bring us this spectacle.

more from the paddock............

..................more.