Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: RENNSPORT VI through JZG's lens............my last Hurrah.

...................and more still.
    Attached Images Attached Images           
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

Some more general paddock images

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."

Xavier Petit-Jean-Boret Xavier PJB's Avatar
    His wife's name is John too?

(Mary Poppins)

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Miller View Post
    It WAS great seeing you and your lovely wife John... can't want to see your coverage...
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

Good stuff as always, John!...
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

More from the paddock area.

There's lots more...............!

This'll take some time to complete.

................carrying on.

Wonderful shots John! I loved the mix of old and new at the event. But the 959s, woah the 959s... I've never seen so many in one spot, and I've even been to Zuffenhausen!

Good seeing some of you forum folks in real life too!

Dave

...............and some more.

If some of these photos appear to have a somewhat different 'look' from much of my previous work, it's because I must confess that I find my knees and legs simply don't have the strength & flexibility they once had, and simply won't allow me to get into the kneeling position I so much prefer to photograph cars, as readily as they used to in younger days.

It all has to do with the prespective / view point from which I prefer to shoot cars. When I first started this nonsense about 50 years ago I was using a 35mm film Leica, a fully mechanical film range-finder camera that required one to put it up to your eye to compose / view the photo you were about to take and to manually focus, but soon switched to twin-lens Rolleiflex and shortly thereafter transitioned to a full Hasselblad system, both of which utilize waist level viewfinders, i.e. groundglass viewing screens which made for a larger view of the subject and easier composing, but occasionally difficult focusing. When used in their primary position, these designs place the optical axis of the camera's picture-taking lens at roughly eye-level of other drivers in their automobiles .Thus, the angle, or more accurately, the view of a car when shooting with those cameras presents the cars (at least, that's what I strived for in most of my photos) as others would see them while driving their cars, and furthermore, I submit that most designers and stylists design their cars to be viewed from the perspective of other driver in their respective vehicles - this occured to me at the Frankfurt Auto show many years ago when all the news cars were displayed on pedestals and raised platforms / turntables that placed the cars at roughly a driver's eye level in traffic.

In my opinion, that perspective makes for a far more representative, true-to-life and more attractive image of the car one is trying to portray, as opposed to shooting cars from a standing position, which tends to give the resulting photos of cars a distorted 'bird's-eye view' look, something I believe should be avoided, since it sort of takes the observer 'out of the action' and makes one just that...............an observer, not a participant in the scene, as it were.

Since I switched to digital cameras about 15 years ago, first Nikons, then full-frame Canons, and then full-frame Leica Ms, and now exclusively the Leica SL series, all with conventional viewfinders, I have knelt for the vast majority of my automotive images, but lately with this damned gout, arthritis & age that's getting tougher and tougher at every outing. and I find myself taking the easy way out by just shooting from a standing position...............to the obvious detriment of the images I'm presenting here. Since the camera I'm using nowadays has a fixed LCD at the back of the camera which does not fold out nor swivel, I am not able to hold the camera at arm's length in a position to duplcate the Hasselblad 'belly-button view' while composing the image.The proper way to correct that is to purchase the highest-quality "Right-angle viewer" which fits onto the camera's viewfinder eye-piece and allows the through-the-lens view of the subjectr from the desired & ideal waist-level viewpoint, which I believe adds so much to effective, natural aotomotive photography, but the Miami Leica store which has the best viewer custom-made for them to fit the SL body was out of stock & couldn't ship one in time for RR VI....................that's my story & excuse and I'm sticking with it.

JZG
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 10-22-2018 at 04:10 AM.

Xavier Petit-Jean-Boret Xavier PJB's Avatar
    Thank you so much for all that, makes me travel.
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407