Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: RENNSPORT VI through JZG's lens............my last Hurrah.

One could easily have spent the whole day & never left the tent......... and you could confidently have called it a great day, well spent !

Pardon the sequence.....................photo #2 obviously belongs at the end of the post.
    Attached Images Attached Images           
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 10-11-2018 at 05:35 PM.
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

Another set, devoted to two of the most historic & successful Porsche motorsports entries ever.

The white / red George Follmer 5-liter 917-10 with which Follmer won 6 of the 9 Can-Am races in '72, and the blue / yellow '73 Mark Donohue driven and developed 5.4 liter 917-30 championship-winning /record-braking masterpiece which essentially killed off the CAN-AM series by it's other-worldly dominance - with Donohue scoring 6 wins in a row in this very car. To hear these cars warming up and taking a few demonstartion laps is alone worth the trip and all of one's time at the Rennsport Reunions.

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."

Another PORSCHE milestone that deserves its own set of photos is the '85 championship-winning Mcaren F-1 powered by the TAG.sponsored, Hans Metzger-designed, Porsche-built 1.5 liter twin turbo 6-cylinder motor.

More from the tent................sorry, photos #2 & 10 obviosly should be consecutive.

a few more sets from the tent, this time Dr. Helmuth Bott's personal 959, his company car essentially. which served frequently as Weissach's test mule while the model was being developed there.

The yellow car is the ex-Jochen Rohr GT1 '97 24 Hours of Daytona winner.

Some more from the enthralling CHOPARD Heritage display................
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 03-26-2019 at 06:32 PM.

The next-to-final set from the tent.

The Bott's 959 prototype is funny with its pascha cloth seats.
    And thank you for its VIN, from a 1985 930, like many 959 prototypes.

The last set of images from the tent........I simply have to end this soon and get on with my life. Ubortunately, then site has chosen to spoil the last set from the tent..................images #7 & 8 of the LeMans winning 936 should, of course, be shown as # 3 & 4.

As large as the CHOPARD tent was, it still wasn't big enough to house all the historic PORSCHEs and all the race winners in attendance, so some of the cars were shown in the covered pits adjacent to the track entrance. Photo #10 shows some of the things visible through the building when you got lucky enough to actually catch a glimpse through the building. In over 30 consecutive trips to the Historics, three Rennsport Reunions and countless various other events at Laguna Seca, I inquired every time about what hoops I would have to jump through to obtain a press pass................without once even getting close to being considered for one - makes me curious about the parameters for issuing the treasured photographers's vests if you're not working for a newspaper.
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 10-30-2018 at 05:43 AM.