Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Might have found a car for long term resto

Looks fake to me George. Why would one of the big time Porsche guy's in Germany be trying to shift this....?

Right Car, Still? . . .

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeK View Post
    . . . First things first, the numbers. See for yourselves . . .

VIN = 9111301394
    Eng# = 6301445
    Trans# = ?
    Prod# = ?

VIN is 1971, S

Eng# is 1970, S

Any 'money' shots? . . .

. . . or is this car pfft!

We Can Be Heroes

Awesome colors on the Turbo! Almost M5T worthy It’s been a while since you were driving the Cup 944 @ NS. Best regards to MC. The project looks worthwile, but a monster job, looking forward to the updates!

“Bump Draft” George.... welcome back!
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

What is the paint code ?
    I can't read it.
    I agree,this seems to be a 1971 2.2 S, with a 2.2 S engine, 1970 from the suspicious stamping.

Any paper with it?

Sorry no pics for now, stayed in the home PC (I'm at work) will try tonight.
    Stretch, CS, agree. Looks like a gross fake engine stamping. But the engine type seems genuine. Motive for that?
    Dave, Hi! Very good memories of following the black S.
    Stevie, you know the M5T? Have we met on the 'Ring? That was a white elephant.
    Long ranger: ". . . or is this car pfft!", I don't understand.

A few more lines bout the trip:
    It has been a long day, with 900Kms driving. Freisinger is a huge place, with over 150 shells, stocked on industrial shelves outside, most with some damage and a lot with all ID plates and stampings cut out - I figure it has to do with german laws regarding total loss cars that should only be used as organ donors, not to be put back on the road (?).
    The people were nice. Not the warmest, but I figure I must have been the millionth person wanting to look at a car they have. Mr Freisinger showed me the car, and let me inspect if for over 90 minutes, let me take all pictures I wanted and came to check after on hour to ask if we were all right. Not pushy, not overbearing, the right attitude if you want to look quietly at a car.

The car:
    Oh my.... It has been raced and put away wet. Front strut brace is still in, nicely welded supports. There are plates for a ful cage on the floor in front, in back and on the rear wheel wells. They are NOT professional work. I would have never put these plates on the floor only, but rather on a combination of several structures. The seats are Ideals, but without rails, just dropped in the car. dash has several broken knobs. Dials are all correct, need a refurbish at the minimum. door handles are OK, only front door pockets, both damaged.
    The rest of the interior is all crap. Nothing to save, not even for another car. Pedal cluster is frozen solid. Shifter is a 915, not connected. I suspect the car has been raced with some other engine/gearbox combo, and these were put in to sell it.

In the front, the suspension pan is surprisingly solid. Holes in both battery boxes. Air horn with 3 trumpets (I like this one!) There is about 4 inches of standing water in the smuggler box, which indicates that there is no perforating rust there. Front firewall seems solid. Ventilation butchered, missing some parts. Latch plate original and seems solid enough.

Sills... Right is missing half of the outer sill, with oil lines exposed. Middle sill is crusty. Inner sill seems OK. Left side is stronger.
    Floors... Large holes right front, no other holes seen, but I suspect that by the pedal cluster will be serious rot.
    Rear seats: could not assess correctly, but not completely gone. I could hit with a crewdriver and not punch through.
    Rear shelf: not seen.
    Fenders, all 4 are crap, latch plates compromised both sides. Hinge plates seem OK at leat in the upper 3/4.
    Doors, right is done for, left might be salvageable.
    Lids: front is DOA, rear is a fiberglasss turbo tail on an SC lid with its plastic grille.
    Rear longitudinals OK, oil system all there, including front alloy cooler.
    Engine seems correct. Could not see the MFI pump number. Mg stacks with part stuck butterflies.
    Wiring: Lots of hacks. That I can repair.
    Suspension- brakes: Konis and alloy front calipers

So all in all, I'd be buying a 2.2S shell, 2.2S non matching engine (of indeterminate origin, but seems correct and complete), an unknown gearbox, correct suspension, dials, all of which need total resto. All the rest is fit for the bin.

I am not afraid of the work, but I worry about the potential engine number/stamping issue, and I think the asking price (37K €) as of now is too high.

I'll try pics tonight, but welcome more reactions.

Paint code is 8080 11

Hi George,
    Excited to see you back and in the market for a long hood. Freisinger is known to be one of the more expensive Sellers in DE.
    What does he know about the car's history? Is it originally a German delivered car? Based upon the VIN number, it is a ROW car. If it was originally delivered in Europe, and they are a well known Porsche parts dealer in Germany, Freisinger should have a Geburtsurkunde for the car.
    Once you figure import costs to CH from Germany, and the amount of work and cost that would need to go into this thing without it being a numbers matching car, it seems like the resto costs will far outweigh the cost of simply buying a good original 2.2-2.4T coupe and doing a 911S spec engine rebuild. Just a thought...
    All the best
    Garth
    Last edited by gruen911; 10-08-2018 at 11:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeK View Post
    ". . . or is this car pfft!", I don't understand . . .
    . . . = 'gone' --- in this case, 'not worth considering'

Without seeing your pics, I'm with Garth. Seems like a lotta work to end up with something of --- let's be kind . . . problematic value

I mean --- anything can be brought back . . .

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...-of-a-RHD-2-2S

More a question of which is important/valuable to you . . .

. . . the 'doing'? . . .

. . . or the 'having'?

Enjoy your choices

Attached Images Attached Images    

We Can Be Heroes

Banned
    Non matching mess for €37? Those of us who deal with Freisinger know he doesn't budge on pricing. (Why should he?) Nothing to see here.

Chalk your time and trip up to getting to meet the man, the myth, the legend. (Had to laugh when you said 5-5 was a long day...)

Best of luck.