Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Might have found a car for long term resto

I think a consensus is forming. A shame, since I would prefer an S. But the engine # issue is too big to ignore.
    I'll post the rest of the pictures tonight.
    Frank, the guy I spoke with actually got from 40 to 37 in the first phone call.
    It *was* a long day. For me at least. 900 Kms is a lot of driving in Europe. And it was actually 4-10 when all is accounted for

Garth: Good to "see" you! Still in Bayern?

Looks like you're on the right track. Engine type looks correct but clearly a restamp. We seem to be seeing a lot more of these restamps lately. I suppose the problem will only get worse as values rise.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gearby View Post
    Engine type looks correct but clearly a restamp. We seem to be seeing a lot more of these restamps lately. I suppose the problem will only get worse as values rise.
    Actually I would submit that this practice may have been more prevalent back in the day when no one cared about restamps. If you replaced a damaged case with a new or used one why wouldn't you stamp the proper number in it? When this practice was common 40+ years ago it never occurred to any of us that it might "enhance" value. (I know for you young start-ups that seems inconceivable but it's true.) It was simply used as an identifier. This whole matching numbers thing is a fairly recent gimmick and phenomenon. I'm not against it and I certainly earn a nice living because of it but I just think it's silly from a pragmatic standpoint.

That certainly could be correct although I would venture to guess that if nobody cared about matching numbers, then why go to the trouble of restamping the case?
    I'm afraid you assume too much with regards to my newbie status. Porsches were all that I did from the late 80s through the mid-90s. And I will say, I don't think I ever heard a reference to matching numbers back then. It simply wasn't relevant at the time. I can also say that we were never asked to restamp a case. The discussion never came up.

I don't really care about the non-matching number, rather about the possibility that someone in the licensing authorities will see that it is a counterfeit stamping, and decide to not license the car, or worse, seize the engine.
    Yes they have that type of (silly) power around here.
    That, notwithstanding the rest of the car.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gearby View Post
    That certainly could be correct although I would venture to guess that if nobody cared about matching numbers, then why go to the trouble of restamping the case?
    I'm afraid you assume too much with regards to my newbie status. Porsches were all that I did from the late 80s through the mid-90s. And I will say, I don't think I ever heard a reference to matching numbers back then. It simply wasn't relevant at the time. I can also say that we were never asked to restamp a case. The discussion never came up.
    Sorry; wasn’t insinuating you are a newbie.

Not a problem. No offense taken. My skin is thicker than that, I'm not a millennial.
    George, I can see where that would be a problem. We don't really have that issue over here. I guess we do here in Washington State. But they don't know enough about Porsches to be able to tell a restamp.

OK, back home. Pics:

More pictures

Last batch