Thread: 123Ignition

123Ignition

Has anyone used here used the 123Ignition distributor in their 911?

If so, what are your thoughts on installation and functionality?

https://123ignitionusa.com/porsche/
    Seth O.

ESR #2474
    1966 911 - '77 2.7L Hot Rod
    1967 Pontiac Bonneville - '70 455
    2000 996

WANTED: 1966 Transaxle 229835-902/1

I was going to say never trust a company who's URL begins with 123, so I started reading some reviews.

There were some good reviews, but I think this statement was interesting "One of the problems with all the rave reviews is that for many instances the 123 users are comparing a new 123 with a sloppy, worn 25 or 45D, so its not like for like, therefore I don't know how much an improvement there would be over a stock distributer in great condition, but there again, unless you have had it seen to its not so likely that your distributer is not quite worn. "

It's post #6 here .

Can you get your distributor rebuilt/recurved?
    Neil
    '73 911S targa

I installed one in our 280SL a decade ago, it performs flawlessly. And after years of chasing ignition issues on my wife's '68 911T (w/electronix/CDI/etc., etc), made the change to a 123 about two years ago. No more fouled plugs, weak starts, uneven cold idle... it was transformative. FWIW, the rebuild on her engine was complete and concise by a respected race shop, so it's a bit more than a stock T, but it NEVER enjoyed cold starts. Now it's unfazed and a pleasure to drive.

The mapping is highly variable so you'll need follow your car's specific tuning specs, but once dialed in you can forget about it.
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

Russ - did you get the computer tune-able version, or the one with built in curves chosen by via switch?
    Seth O.

ESR #2474
    1966 911 - '77 2.7L Hot Rod
    1967 Pontiac Bonneville - '70 455
    2000 996

WANTED: 1966 Transaxle 229835-902/1

The 123 ignition runs very well... I´m using it several years on my beetle convertible with a 1.6l and had so far no issues. It runs well and the engine starts without any problems, moreover I gained some performance back and had better fuel economy.... I use the version woith DIP´s...

There´s also a solution to built in the 123ignition in your old distributor...

http://www.123ignition-conversions.com/

Yes, I use them too. I have the 123 in my 1971 e-type, 1970 280SL, 1967 912 & 1963 Beetle also. All without worry.

Quote Originally Posted by setho View Post
    Russ - did you get the computer tune-able version, or the one with built in curves chosen by via switch?
    The Mercedes has the internal switch which was what they offered back then, very simple... the new version used on the 911 we
    tuned with a laptop. Both use a stock coil.
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT