Thread: Another rs book

Another rs book

Has any one looked at the gen 3 rs book,is it worth getting.It has two pull outs of underview of a rs and rsr,and some new photos.

Can you tell exactly what books you are referring too ?
    There's a list of Porsche books, most of them with reviews, at Love for Porsche - Liebe zu Ihm

It's about the famous Konradsheim's book of which a new version is out.
    I am not a big fan of yet another update, because i spent a little fortune on the 2nd version, partly because it was limited edition, partly because it had more data than v1 that was NLA for years.
    Especially if they say v3 is out "because there were pictures available too late for publication of v2".
    Anyway, it's a great book and THE source if you need to know about RS or RSRs.
    Last edited by patrick911; 10-17-2018 at 03:58 AM. Reason: link not working

Yes thanks the konradsheim book,as you say a real shame another ltd edition is already superceded.
    The latest version has updated underfloor shots but of a restored car,which is a shame,what realy is needed is factory period shots of detail.
    As these book are so expensive then may be a good idea to have a update supplement available for current books with the new photos etc

I agree a supplement would make a lot of sense...
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellow491 View Post
    Yes thanks the konradsheim book,as you say a real shame another ltd edition is already superceded.
    The latest version has updated underfloor shots but of a restored car,which is a shame,what realy is needed is factory period shots of detail.
    As these book are so expensive then may be a good idea to have a update supplement available for current books with the new photos etc
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

A supplement would make sense, for us. For the author/editor, there is a new stock of special versions, signed, with lush hardcase, etc, for more money than the last.
    I'll vote with my wallet, although I am rather sure he will sell every last one.

A case of literature imitating life?

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 175
Size:  30.5 KB
    it could be said Porsche "misled" the 500 original purchasers promoting the RS as limited edition of 500 then cashed in by turning on the production taps to make money. In fairness the second 500 series announced October by also being put through the convoluted homologation processes opened up another racing FIA Group. But the third series with a more productionized process and for most part production parts (with a few exceptions/enhancements maybe?) seemed by later 73 to be driven by a different more immediately commercial agenda?

Even as early as as November 72 when only a hundred or two RS were built the factory literature ( the see kundendienst at bottom) betrays that the thinking was different for the third edition i.e. Designation for those chassis north of circa 1000 for homologation. Maybe didn't come to pass to get different stamps or designations but revealing of intent nonetheless. For some this distinction / shift matters not a jot ....but for others maybe when the "essence" of the RS limited edition homologation programme shifted possibly it does matter? While I've been a long term TAG customer -- my wife bought a first edition book numbers match through legwork (sourcing match the hard way pre Internet) when book was first published around 1992 and I have second edition matching numbers too -- so I assume I'm in the publishers target group. I'll vote with my wallet on this third edition just like GeorgeK. I don't know the extra content or its price/value, but something doesn't sit quite right with me wrt this third edition. The question being asked here and similar questions coming to me via email from friends and fellow RS owners suggests I'm not alone in feeling this? Maybe a supplement approach if the authors need cash and have something new and worthwhile to include -- Yellow491 idea -- might work. I appreciate what they've done in past but lost a little goodwill with this when taken together with another small thing that happened recently.

Incidentally I'm reading and enjoying the Snodgrass Turbo book at moment and greatly enjoyed his 2,7 Carrera book too. Quality stuff! He is nominated as contender for motoring book of year at my club at the end of this month-- I shall attend awards event in support and hope that Ryan wins against some stiff competition. Previous winners: Damon Hill last year, Brian Redman year before.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by 911MRP; 10-18-2018 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Add photos