Thread: VW Type 183 (Iltis)

Swedewerks Survivor Cars SD Swede's Avatar

VW Type 183 (Iltis)

I located this on Vancouver Island, BC, Canada recently. We had never been to Canada so we thought it sounded like a fun road trip.

It's a 1985 Canadian built model. The Volkswagen Type 183, more commonly known as the Iltis (German for polecat), is a 4X4 military vehicle built by Volkswagen for use by the German military. This was the father system to the Syncro set up which became standard on the Audi Quattro.

Also the Iltis was built under license in Canada, like this one, by Bombardier for 2,500 vehicles for the Canadian Forces and 2,673 vehicles for the Belgian Army. The Canadian production ran from 1984 to 1988 during which time a small number of vehicles were also delivered to Cameroon and Oman. Although the two vehicles were briefly offered simultaneously, the Type 183 effectively replaced the Type 181, the Thing.

It was quite the adventure to get it back home from Vancouver Island and thru customs, properly. But, as of today, it is now titled/registered and insured for the road. Equipped with the Audi/VW 1.7L water-cooled, I4 it plugs along up to about 60 mph with no problem. Tested out the 4WD and rear diff locker today and all is good.

I don't consider it a beauty. In fact, it is .... strange looking in ways. But, to me, it's super cool. I've never considered myself to be a military vehicle buff, and still don't. I got it because it's a Volkswagen and VW runs thru my veins like with many others here.

Thanks for letting me share.

Peter
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Peter Andersson #2864
    Pinstriped Early 911 Club #1

Banned
    Gotta be one of the ugliest VWs I've ever seen Peter. I like it. How was it advertised?

How about more pics? Curious why the raised portion on the hood.

Agreed! But, something warming about caring for the ugly duckling.

Some engine components need the clearance, air intake hose leading to the airbox, airbox itself, coolant reservoir etc. The system is 24V so the po installed a reducer with a separate fuse panel in one of the "waterproof" under-hood storage compartments. Then a nice panel of switches in the glove box area for your 12V accessories. The way the air intake is set up, the completely sealed ignition system and the exhaust output all allow for you to drive along in at least 24 inches of water without an issue. There are parts borrowed from the Beetle as well. The suspension is mirrored at opposing corners for the ease of parts substitution. Overall, the engineering is nothing short of German overdone and smart!
    Last edited by SD Swede; 10-17-2018 at 01:34 PM.
    Peter Andersson #2864

Btw, in case you are doubting its off-road capability...it won the 1980 Dakar race on its first time out. In fact, VW entered 3 vehicles, finishing 1st, 2nd, one dnf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8Ra_q_m4AI
    Peter Andersson #2864

I have just discovered that there was a Citroën version of the Iltis!

Funny car.

Yes, I read that as well. Interesting for sure.

Frank, located it on Seattle's CL originally.
    Peter Andersson #2864