Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SWB Washing Tips ???

SWB Washing Tips ???

As a SWB owner, I am forever vigilant about minimizing rust. At the same time, the car needs an occasional wash.

Can anyone point me to some practical SWB washing tips on how to minimize rust?

My searches of the early911sregistry.org website (both with our search engine and Google) have not been successful so far.

Thanks in advance,

Jim

It's a Porsche, not a Picasso. Wash it when needed. Drive it and enjoy it. Overthinking and worry ruin the simplest of pleasures.

Quote Originally Posted by jfadams View Post
    As a SWB owner, I am forever vigilant about minimizing rust. At the same time, the car needs an occasional wash.

Can anyone point me to some practical SWB washing tips on how to minimize rust?

My searches of the early911sregistry.org website (both with our search engine and Google) have not been successful so far.

Thanks in advance,

Jim
    don`t use saltwater

member #1515
    Wash it and drive it. Never wash it before parking in garage, the water sits in the worst places.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

I blow the hell out of it with a leaf blower after a wash. Especially around the head lights, rocker panels, badges, etc.

I seriously considered purchasing a Sepia Brown to avoid this issue all together.
    Never wash and store,, best advice
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by nzvw View Post
    i seriously considered purchasing a sepia brown to avoid this issue all together.
    Never wash and store,, best advice
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

All great tips, especially the leaf blower.
    I have been using a flexible sheet of plastic over the engine when washing to divert water away from the engine and paper ducting. Follow with towel drying of the multiple nooks that hold water (door areas, boot release, window trim, light buckets, etc.) and a brisk drive with the doors partially open. Seems to help but certain nooks and engine compartment still retain water. Maybe the leaf blower will do the trick.
    Thanks !

Living in California it was important to save water during the drought. I found Griots Speed Shine... Realy you don't need to wash your car with water... If it is realy dirty. Take a moist soft cloth and lightly, very lightly wipe the dirt off. I mean REALY LIGHT... You might even spay with a bottle a light mist of water.,,,, now spray an extremely light, almost nothing, amount of Griot. in a square area say 2' x2'... Use 2 towels (the ones griots recommends). The first one you drag the material around the area capturing very light dirt etc. Then follow up with the second clean towel and rub the material until it is gone...…… This is all it takes to keep your car looking great and it also defeats the oxidation decomposition that normally would occur and damage your paint…. You can do this in one third or less the time it would take to wash your car..... I am only saying this because I expect Griot will comp me a vacation house in Hawaii....

Quote Originally Posted by The chief View Post
    I blow the hell out of it with a leaf blower after a wash. Especially around the head lights, rocker panels, badges, etc.
    which finally would give a leave blower a right to exist...