Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SWB sound deadening templates

SWB sound deadening templates

Hi,

I had a brain fart disassembling my car and did not make good templates of the tar based sound deadening pieces used in the rear seat area, on the longnitudinals and beneath the dash in the foot-well area. I am hoping that someone out there might have done this in the past or might be able to help. I have a source lined up who can make a very accurate reproduction including the tar backing. If we can supply him with templates he could start offering these to the hobby.

Many thanks,

JK

Glad to hear you are working on this Eric, will send you an email. J.

Quote Originally Posted by Soterik View Post
    Hey Joris,

I'm kind of in the middle of this. I have the material, and am slowly putting together patterns.

Regards,
    Eric
    Excellent to hear, Eric. Always very interested in all your projects.

Any idea on ETA?
    Bill G.

1968 911 Ossi Blue coupe...full restoration in process
    Done: Engine; transmission; suspension; gauges; wheels; rust repair & primer; brakes; paint
    In progress: electrical; the tedious, endless, horrible fastener sorting/plating
    EarlyS #718 | RGruppe #437

For sure this would be very useful!
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

Eric has told me that for now he will not be undertaking this project. This means I am still on the look out for anybody who can help with some patterns based on original pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by 718RSK View Post
    Eric has told me that for now he will not be undertaking this project. This means I am still on the look out for anybody who can help with some patterns based on original pieces.
    I`v saved all pieces from 350286 (not for sale those will go on #96) and already made templates--i also have the correct base material + the nasty black stuff..already did some successful material test runs .all i`m missing is the time to do the repro run....
    same for the sombrero

nope i don`t know when i can do this but i need a sombrero for #96 which will be on the road next summer.

What I could save out of my '66 when I dismantled it.

Scott

Hi Scott,

Thanks so much for posting these. This is exactly what I am after. From my car and further research it appears that late 65 and 66 cars used used three types of materials:

- Bitumen/tar soaked coconut and/or horse hair?
    - Tar backed pads/card board as seen on the 356's
    - Jute padding

From what I have been able to figure out the tar pads were used on the rear parcel shelf, the vertical panel underneath it, across the trans humb, below the 1/4 windows (two pieces) on the lognitudinals (two pieces) and under the floor board on the vertical surfaces.

The tar soaked hair pieces were used on top of the tar pads covering the rear parcel shelves, in the rear seat area, on the vertical panel where the luggage anchors are and on the floors.

The jute pads were used under the 1/4 windows covering the tar pads. and on the roof.

Scott, I would be curious to learn if my observations match your pieces? Also, if your tar pads are in such a shape that they could be used to make patterns.

Many thanks,
    JK

Quote Originally Posted by 718RSK View Post

The tar soaked hair pieces were used on top of the tar pads covering the rear parcel shelves, in the rear seat area, on the vertical panel where the luggage anchors are and on the floors.

Thanks Joris, for the above. Was this a 65-66 thing? On a 67 model I did not find anything on the floors between the rubber mats and the underseal. Off-course, that could have been removed, but it didn't look like that.

Sourcing the right parts/materials/templates.

I was able to remove the tar pads for the area under the dashboard for templates.

I can wait for some extra months and hope that Franz or Eric will move on with their projects to reproduce the required stuff.

What I currently found at Stoddard:

https://www.stoddard.com/sic-556-500-22.html.html
    https://www.stoddard.com/sic-556-500-20.html.html

And at Cartex.de:

https://www.cartex.de/shop/de/porsch...ung-karosserie

Okay, I have been working on this in the background. I can only comment for December '65 cars but the use as described above appears to have been the same for most cars up to '67 somewhere.

To do an authentic job you will need three materials:

- Jute pads as used under quarter windows. Various sources out there for the basic material. Order per yard and cut your own
    - Tar soaked coco hair?: Stoddards is the only game in town. Product looks good but very $$$ for what it is
    - Cardboard/felt tar soaked pieces: I am working with someone who can make these based on the work he is doing for the 356 guys

Still hoping Eric will jump in and offer a great affordable product as he usually does. Last communication that I had from him on this topic is that he pushed the project on the back burner