Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SWB sound deadening templates

One more comment. The parts book actually has a pretty good illustration of the various pieces

Okay, I have been working on this off and on again over the last months. I am at a stage now that I have pretty good patterns for most pieces. I will be sending these to my friend so that he can have a test set cut for me. I will try and fit these to my car and make changes where necessary. Based on that we will make a set of final templates that can be used to make sets of others should there be more people out there who like these details

Sounds really great! Thanks for the update...
    Quote Originally Posted by 718RSK View Post
    Okay, I have been working on this off and on again over the last months. I am at a stage now that I have pretty good patterns for most pieces. I will be sending these to my friend so that he can have a test set cut for me. I will try and fit these to my car and make changes where necessary. Based on that we will make a set of final templates that can be used to make sets of others should there be more people out there who like these details
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

Yes, thank you for updating. I'm on the front end of a long journey backdating a 1967 912 to a 1967 911ish S so I'd be interested in purchasing patterns from Eric or anyone that has them.

Update, I received the pieces from my friend earlier this week. They are very very nice and very close to original. I will post some pictures once installed. Need to get a big gas torch as these pieces are tar backed as original.

If anybody out there has some good pictures of the two pieces which went on top of the rear firewall that would be appreciated

Spend this morning installing the pieces with the help of a roofing tar gas burner. Pretty happy with how they came out. Probably a little shittier than a factory job but not much in it.

Ideally this is a two man job. You want to make sure you have figured out how you will hold the pieces and slide it into position. The extra hands help hold the piece so you can gradually install making sure it tightly follow every contour.

The material is pretty darn close to the original. Maybe a bit thicker. Nonce of these pieces are visible once the interior is installed. As such, for those people less concerned about originality, dynamat etc. is a better and much cheaper solution.

JK.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Looks great Joris!
    Any idea what the cost of a full set needs to be? I would be able to pick up in The Netherlands.

Finished the job yesterday. Also added the fours mats on top of the rear quarter panels as original. I found a pretty much exact match for the originals and cut new ones based on the ones I removed from my car. The original horse hair on the trans hump was re-applied.

Next step will be to install the tar impregnated mats on the floor and in the rear area. Stoddards offers these pieces https://www.stoddard.com/sic-556-500-20.html.html I went ahead and ponied up the money for a set. The patterns are real nice. The material however is not exact as the original. Much more open. I quizzed them about this but they claim it is an exact match. I think it is not and at over $1000 for some die cut cheap material I feel it should have been exact. I think I might have come up with a solution to make something more authentic, which I hope to explore in the coming weeks.

A lot of work for something nobody will see when the car is done

Quote Originally Posted by Adore911 View Post
    Looks great Joris!
    Any idea what the cost of a full set needs to be? I would be able to pick up in The Netherlands.
    Edwin, contact me offline. These pieces were made by a friend and I am not in the business of selling them. I think we got pretty close on the patterns for some pieces but others required quite some work from my side to make fit. The reason for this is that I was unable to provide him with good patterns for all pieces. As such this is not a bolt on kit yet. With some further patterns from other cars it could be

You people are doing great work. I genuinely admire your dedication to authenticity. On the other hand, I am an admitted heathen.

Look away now! Save yourselves the trauma!

Zitronengelb R1012 the RatBasterd
    RGruppe #183