Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pirelli Cinturato vs Avon CR6ZZ - 185/70/15

Pirelli Cinturato vs Avon CR6ZZ - 185/70/15

I'm looking to mount either the Pirellis or Avons on 7R wheels (all 4 corners) on a non-flared car.
    Both of these have that great vintage tread pattern look.
    Both are comparably priced at $295 at Lucas for the Pirelli and $280 at Sascosports for the Avon.

What is everyone's opinion : performance/stickiness and durability?

thanks, geoff
    Early S Registry #913

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    Having never worn out a set of tires on my 73, I chose the very soft Avons. I suspect the Pirellis are much more durable.

I have a set of the Pirellis. Great look. Balanced with minimum weights. They are alright in the corners, but not anything like a true performance tire.

why a 185 on the 7r? shouldn't you go a bit wider? asking because I'm in the tire buying process myself

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    I also ran 4 R7 on the 73 with 205/60's. I used factory 7mm spacers on all 4 corners with factory wheel studs that are 10mm longer. It was a great combo. Not sure u can get 205/60's anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by gled49 View Post
    Having never worn out a set of tires on my 73, I chose the very soft Avons. I suspect the Pirellis are much more durable.

Running the hardest compound Avons on my 73 914, and seriously wonder if I should have gone softer compound. I don't love them, with their stiff sidewalls and so-so grip before they're hot (on an old car, that means most of the time)....and bet I'll time them out before I wear them out. Would love to actually wear a set of tires out on my car....

I am starting to wonder if 195/65 P6000 N-spec are the way to go on a street car. This, while dreaming of 185 XWXs in Pilot Sport Cup 2 compounds. Or 205/60 or 195/65 A-008R-TUs....

Quote Originally Posted by gled49 View Post
    I also ran 4 R7 on the 73 with 205/60's. I used factory 7mm spacers on all 4 corners with factory wheel studs that are 10mm longer. It was a great combo. Not sure u can get 205/60's anymore.
    You can still get 205/60 Yoko R-compounds here. Sidewalls are okay for an early car, being pretty simple, but the tread looks alien. Suspect performance is rather good…
    https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes

I have also wondered about these for an early Porsche street car, with the white letters turned in. The sidewalls and tread pattern are super old school, and can they be worse than what the cars came with? Hmm. And, could they benefit from at least a bit of modernizing, given that BFG is now owned by Michelin?

But these are probably the best alternative to the Avons and CN36s. Might be my next move after CR6ZZs...

I have had both and currently have the CN36's on my car. I think it depends on what you are going to use it for. If only for road use including the occasional fast mountain driving (which mine is used for) I would go with the CN36's - it is a much better road tyre - especially in the wet. It is a softer ride as well but certainly does not have the ultimate performance of the Avon
    I put Avons on in early 2013 and changed them out early this year and put about 13,000 miles on them in that time. They were the harder compound not the softest one but the tread was only about half used. HOWEVER All but one of them went out of round in part due to lack of use but I was also told that this can be a problem for this type of tyre with constant light use with periods of rest between rather than using them up over a weekend or two or at a rally in a day or two. At the time I bought them I thought they were the best compromise of period looks and acceptable road performance. However with the CN36's now available I went straight for them and for MY requirements could not be happier. I remember when I firts got the Avond that I was amazed at how much they improved the feel of the car - however when i put the Pirellis on I think the improvement from the Avons was even more dramatic
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Quote Originally Posted by stout View Post
    This, while dreaming of 185 XWXs in Pilot Sport Cup 2 compounds.
    I would like that.

If it’s performance you're after - Avon. To be fair my last experience with the CN36 was on my dad’s jaguar in about ‘84. What you’re getting there is an overpriced reproduction of a 40 year old street tire design.

I’m continually amazed by the feel and grip of those little 175 Avon’s on my 67S. My second set.
    Tom F.

'67 911S Slate Gray
    '70 911T 2.8 hotrod (in progress)
    '92 964

Is Pirelli still making P6000 N-spec in 185/70 or has it ceased production?