Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1969 911 Window Winding Mechanism

1969 911 Window Winding Mechanism

rolling up the passenger window yesterday and got a "pop". Then the window crank did not raise the window. Have pulled the panel and loosened the winder mechanism. It is connected to the system that holds the window. I can see a curved, toothed gear which I assume is the lifting mechanism. Thinking that the crank mechanism has come adrift of this geared lifter. Does anyone have pics of the situation? It appears as though everything in the door is riveted together. How is the system removed or replaced? Any pics would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

My Inspiration

'86 44 Turbo, black/red,7's and 8's fuchs, autothority - sold (rocketship)
    '97 Boxster, first delivered in DC Metro, silver/red -sold (huge mistake to buy this one)
    '99 C2, silver/black, RoW M030, limited lip, short shift - sold (good ride, but...)

'69 912, 3.2 with all the trimmings
    (finally got air cooled)
    Early 911S Registry Member 2044

David

Here is a picture of your window regulator. It is easily removable by removing the mounting bracket for the divider bar on your window frame at the base of the frame. After that is removed you can slide the regulator forward and backward to disconnect it from the window channel. My picture showcases the key hole that you will use to disconnect it. It will, then, come out of the large lower hole in your inner door shell. You have probably worn out the gear from you description of a "pop". If that is the case, you will need to replace the regulator. I do know a guy that has a few of them.
    If you find the teeth to be in good shape and the pivot pin is worn or split where the helper spring fits, you can buy a replacement pin from the supplier of your choice.

Regards

Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Thank you Jim. So the trick is the Allen bolt at the base of the vertical separator from fixed triangular glass to window? I undid all the other bolts

My Inspiration

'97 Boxster, first delivered in DC Metro, silver/red -sold (huge mistake to buy this one)
    '99 C2, silver/black, RoW M030, limited lip, short shift - sold (good ride, but...)

(finally got air cooled)

Been tinkering. Assuming the glass needs to come out. How to do that? It’s in the full down position now

My Inspiration

(finally got air cooled)

Why do you think the glass needs to come out? This would involve several procedures (removing and getting back in) that have hazards and are not related to operation of the regulator itself. Have you been able to separate the rail (holding the glass) from the regulator? That is, do you have the glass separated from the regulator, and the regulator removed from the door?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidRS View Post
    Thank you Jim. So the trick is the Allen bolt at the base of the vertical separator from fixed triangular glass to window? I undid all the other bolts
    Yes, you will need to remove the bracket and then you can maneuver with regulator around the base of the window frame and out of the door. You don't need to remove the glass or tinker with the window frame after removing the bracket.

Regards

Jim

Thank you. I am being dense. Looking at the glass rail, it looked like it was riveted to the regulator. How do I separate them? I am at the point where everything is lose, just being dumb when it comes to getting the separated.

My Inspiration

(finally got air cooled)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidRS View Post
    Thank you. I am being dense. Looking at the glass rail, it looked like it was riveted to the regulator. How do I separate them? I am at the point where everything is lose, just being dumb when it comes to getting the separated.
    Notice the "key hole" in the window channel (there are 2 of them and 2 "buttons" on the regulator) at the base of the glass. You need to slide the whole window regulator backward or forward to disengage the regulator from the channel. It's EASY.

Ciao

Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Jim, thank you. Got distracted on cleaning my ICV. Looked at the track. Thinking your pic is from the back side. Thanks. Will get some lubicrant on it to get it to slide easily and as you say easy peasy.

My Inspiration

(finally got air cooled)

What is a ICV?